Track and cross-country coach sues university

University of Wisconsin women’s track and cross-country coach Peter Tegan has filed a federal lawsuit against the university for age and gender discrimination.

Tegan, 64, claims his contract was not renewed because UW athletic officials are biased against a man coaching the women’s track and cross-country teams.

Tegan also alleged his contract was not renewed because of tension between the university and himself regarding Title IX.

Tegan announced last June he planned to retire after 30 years with UW, because his contract was not renewed.

Tegan, however, did not inform his athletes of his plans to sue the university beforehand.

“The news was news to me,” UW track and cross-country runner Lindsay Blaisdell said. “I did not realize he was going to be suing the university.”

An attempt by members of the women’s track and cross-country team to speak with UW Athletic Department officials regarding the non-renewal of Tegan’s contract proved unsuccessful, according to Blaisdell.

She said members of the team approached officials to voice their opinions on the tremendous impact he has had on his athletes and the program and to ask why the department seemed to push Tegan out his position.

“They have not been very direct with us,” Blaisdell said. “They don’t want to talk with us.”

Sarah Halls, a sophomore UW track team member, said she was also unaware her coach was suing the university. She said she and other members of the team are somewhat confused about what is happening on both sides of the debate.

Halls said she believed Tegan was trying to keep quiet about tensions between him and the university because he does not want to force the athletes to take sides, especially since many of the women will be running for another coach soon.

Both Blaisdell and Halls said the Athletic Department has not included them in helping search for a new coach, despite their interest in doing so.

“Peter is a great coach who is knowledgeable about the sport,” Halls said. “He cares about his athletes, not just as athletes and runners, but as people,” she said, adding education is high on Tegan’s list of priorities for his athletes.

“He is full of wisdom and experience,” Blaisdell said. “I came to this university because of him and I think that says a lot,” she said, adding Tegan has a great reputation.

Tegan began two notoriously successful programs at UW in 1975. He has coached 43 national champions in track and cross country. He has led the Badgers to two NCAA cross-country team titles, 24 top-ten national finishes in cross country, 21 top-ten finishes in track and 39 Big Ten Conference Championships in track and cross country.