Police shoot and kill daycare intruder

Police shot and killed a 39-year-old man Tuesday morning who entered a Madison daycare center with an edged weapon and wounded an employee of the center.

At approximately 9:06 Tuesday morning, police responded to a call from the Red Caboose Day Care Center located at 654 Williamson St. regarding a man who entered the daycare armed with a weapon.

According to a statement made by Police Chief Richard Williams at a press conference Tuesday, a 55-year-old worker was wounded after the intruder used the weapon to inflict injury on him.

When officers arrived at the scene, they demanded the man cease his dangerous behavior. When, after several seconds, he refused and continued with the dangerous behavior, two officers made the decision to take action. Two officers shot the man multiple times in the chest and killed him.

Immediately after shooting the man, the officers performed first aid on him. However, the man was declared dead after being brought to an area hospital.

No children and no other workers were harmed.

Dane County Coroner John Stanley confirmed at the press conference that the man received multiple gunshot wounds to the chest.

Chief Williams said the officers made the “appropriate decision” in using deadly force and deemed the officers’ decision to shoot the man “justifiable.”

District Attorney Brian Blanchard said at the press conference it was clear the officers at the scene responded “swiftly and appropriately.” He also said the teachers of the day care responded “professionally.”

Blanchard said the actions of the officers will be reviewed from the 911 tape that recorded the entire incident and from the numerous witnesses at the scene.

The man was wanted for questioning by the police in connection with other violent crimes in the area, according to Chief Williams.

“I applaud the heroic actions of the daycare center staff who put their own lives on the line to ensure the safety of the children. My thoughts are with the staff person who is recovering from wounds sustained in the incident,” Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said in a statement released Tuesday. “I also want to commend the Madison Police and Fire Department officers and Metro staff who were on the scene within moments of receiving the call. They responded quickly, professionally and appropriately to protect and defend those in danger.”

Lt. Sue Williams said the number of children present at the daycare center was unknown and is still under investigation. She said it was not believed the intruder had any prior contact with the daycare center or any of the workers.

Williams said there will be a program for children at the daycare and their parents to attend regarding the event.

Mayor Cieslewicz visited the daycare center and spoke with staff “who were obviously shaken.”

Ald. Judy Olson and Capt. Luis Yudice led a neighborhood meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday to discuss the incident and answer questions, Yudice said.

Officer Larry Kamholz said information regarding the case is limited because the case is still under investigation.

The names of the officers who shot the man are not being released at this time. The police department allows officers in the situation to contact family members before their names are released, according to Lt. Williams.

The intruder’s name is also not being released because all family members of the man were not contacted at the time of the press conference, according to Lt. Williams.