Edwards finishes a close 2nd

MILWAUKEE, Wis. — A room full of chanting supporters greeted presidential hopeful Sen. John Edwards Tuesday evening in Milwaukee, just after his narrow second-place finish behind the race’s frontrunner, Sen. John Kerry.

However, a margin this narrow sends a new message to candidates and supporters looking into the “Super Tuesday” primaries: is Kerry truly running away with the nomination?

Many believe Kerry still holds the ticket, but Edwards has begun to show the ability to gain quick support in a few short days, after recently trailing in polls by significant amounts in Wisconsin and placing well in Tuesday’s events.

Exit polls show Edwards gaining the majority of last-minute votes with a full 15 percent more than Kerry.

Edwards’ recent Wisconsin support does not hold true among student voters in Madison as a whole, however. In largely student districts and polling places, Edwards finished in third with 24 percent of the vote, while Kerry gained 38 percent at the top spot. Dean trailed a mere 1 percent behind Kerry at 37 percent, proving significant in an area seemingly full of Dean supporters.

Despite the number of Dean enthusiasts in Madison, Wisconsin’s race remained tight between two candidates, not three, and many believe the race will remain so in upcoming weeks.

“Edwards was the only candidate in the debate to answer questions directly,” Edwards supporter and Milwaukee resident Mike Allen said Tuesday, adding that the other candidates used rhetorical techniques when answering rather than just giving their straight comment. “He is an honest, upfront candidate that speaks to the average voter. We need a president who will unite us, not divide us,” he said.

The blue-collar, middle-class voter was largely emphasized in Edwards’ Tuesday evening speech.

“When I go into the White House, I will wake up every day fighting for their jobs, and I’m going to take George Bush’s job,” Edwards said regarding middle-class workers who have lost their jobs in Milwaukee.

Alverno College student Karra Stewart, graduating in 2005, attended the Edwards event and emphasized Edwards’ middle-class and working-people push as reasons for her overwhelming support.

“He cares about my father,” Stewart said.

An enthusiastic crowd waited for autographs, pictures and handshakes after the event while continuing to cheer and wave “John Edwards 2004” signs. Prior to the speech, supporters frantically changed channels on TV sets in the front of the room, watching Edwards speak on “Larry King Live” and CNN.

At one point, CNN had reported 40 percent of the vote going to Edwards with 37 percent to Kerry, igniting a stream of cheering throughout the room. Although the results changed, the cheering remained. With a smile, a thumbs-up and an encouraging speech, Edwards remained enthusiastic as well.

“I just hope you’re having as much fun as me,” Edwards said.