Man attempts kidnap at local hotel

An armed man attempted to kidnap a 13-year-old girl from the Comfort Inn at 4822 E. Washington Ave. around 7 p.m. Friday.

The suspect has not been caught.

The girl, who was staying at the hotel with her family, told police she was followed to the elevator by a man in his 30s, around 5 foot 9 and unshaven. He was wearing a navy blue knit stocking cap, dark pants, a hip-length jacket and snow boots.

When the elevator reached the girl’s floor, the man followed her out, put his hand over her mouth and held a gun to her face, according to the police report. The girl told police the man threatened to “shoot her brains out” if she screamed, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

The man then placed the gun against the girl’s right temple and led her to the ground level of the hotel. As they left the building, the man walked the girl out of the hotel parking lot and into the residential neighborhood of Hayes Road.

As they were walking, the girl saw two adult friends of her family unloading items out of a car about 100 feet away. The girl screamed for help and the suspect loosened his grip on the girl, at which point she escaped while the suspect fled, according to the police report.

An intensive search involving more than a dozen officers and the Sheriff’s K-9 patrol searched for the suspect.

Police have been tracking license plates from the hotel parking lot and studying security videos from the hotel lobby in which a man matching the description of the suspect is seen walking into the lobby, according to the police.

“Our hotel and the company that owns our hotel has been cooperating fully with the police,” said Stephanie Bracken, general manager of the Comfort Inn, adding that police have not yet concluded if the man was staying at the hotel.

The investigation is still in progress, a representative from the police department said Sunday.

Anyone with information should call 266-6014.