Recent city events spark a revisiting of campus safety

While running through Camp Randall on Sunday, University of Wisconsin sophomore Emily Palmer started feeling nervous.

“It was only seven o’clock, but it was dark and I got a little scared,” Palmer said.

In light of the recent attacks and assaults occurring on campus, most recently a 20-year-old female student who was knocked unconscious on Randall Court early Sunday morning, many students have become worried about their safety.

Officer Mary Ann Thurber from the Madison Police Department said before students leave to go out at night, they should let a friend or roommate know where they are going, who they will be with and what time they expect to return. She said simply having a plan before leaving the house can eliminate some of the potential for danger.

Thurber also said to travel in well-lit and well-traveled areas and to take advantage of public transportation when possible.

Lt. Eric Holen from UW Campus Police said there is no reason for students to walk anywhere alone, especially at night. He said students should take advantage of the safety systems on campus, such as SafeWalk.

“Don’t take shortcuts at night,” Thurber said, adding the importance clothing has in remaining safe. She advised students to wear items like a backpack, which allow freedom of movement, instead of carrying belongings. She said shoes especially should not be restrictive.

“Keep the stilettos at home,” Thurber said. “Wear flat, comfortable shoes you can get around in easily.”

Unfortunately, some people may find themselves in difficult situations. If someone feels his or her safety is in jeopardy, Holen suggested using the emergency phones on campus or any hard-wired phone to call 911. He said, if possible, use these instead of cell phones because the police department can locate the victim from hard-wired phones even if he or she does not say anything.

Holen said there are measures students can take to remain safe in their dorm rooms or apartments. In residence halls, Holen said to always keep doors locked, especially when sleeping.

“Even if you are walking down the hall, you should lock your door,” Holen said, adding that this will help prevent property crime as well.

For those living in off-campus housing, Holen said students should check with landlords and the Tenant Resource Center to ensure the establishment is secure. He said it is also important to know the escape routes of the house or apartment building — even the escape routes out of each room.

Holen also recommended that women in particular think about enrolling in Chimera, a form of self-defense offered by the Rape Crisis Center. Holen said this form of self-defense is helpful because it not only teaches physical self-defense, but also mental preparedness.

“Despite these high-profile events, Madison is a very safe place to live,” Thurber said.