Two sexual assaults early Sunday morning

Two separate sexual assaults took place early Sunday morning, with one near University Square and the other at Embassy Apartments, 505 University Ave.

The first incident took place at about 4:15 a.m. Sunday near University Square. The victim was sexually assaulted by a stranger while on her way home, according to Lt. Strasburg, police officer on duty Sunday night. Ricardo Ponce, 23, has been charged with sexual assault, false imprisonment and intimidation of the victim. No weapons were used in the assault, according to Lt. Strasburg.

Only about two hours later, at 5:45 Sunday morning, a female resident of Embassy Apartments was followed to her building by a stranger. The suspect then followed the woman into the elevator and to her apartment. He attempted to grab her when she reached her apartment, but was frightened away by the woman’s roommate. Late Sunday night, the suspect is still at large, said Lt. Strasburg.

A resident of Embassy Apartments, Dong Yun Lee, said those who live in the building need a key to enter the building, much like the dormitories.

“I felt safe until now,” Lee said, adding that she did not hear of the incident until late Sunday.

Lt. Strasburg said the department will not release any more information about the Embassy Apartments investigation until a suspect is in custody.

The suspect is described as a white male, 5 feet 11 inches tall. He was wearing a dark stocking cap, a dark puffy coat, dark pants and a gray T-shirt.