Abortion clinic opens in Madison

Hundreds of supporters gathered Thursday, Jan. 8, to celebrate the opening of Planned Parenthood, Wisconsin’s new abortion clinic and women’s health center.

The 6,500-square-foot center, $1.9 million building located at 3706 Orin Rd., is the third Planned Parenthood in the state performing abortions.

“Without this building, the choice of abortion procedures in Madison would not be possible,” Dr. Dennis Christiansen, the clinic’s primary physician, said of the importance of the clinic, which is the 31st Planned Parenthood in Wisconsin.

While many celebrated inside the state-of-the-art building, others paced the sidewalk outside the clinic in protest.

Matt Sande, director of Legislative Affairs for Pro-Life Wisconsin, “peacefully and prayerfully” showed his opposition to the clinic with his wife and two children.

“We wanted to be there to show that not everyone supports this baby-killing center,” Sande said.

Sande was also upset the clinic would not allow his two children to play on Planned Parenthood property during the protest.

“I think it is sadly ironic that they claim to be pro-family yet would not let my children play in the snow,” he said.

Police were on hand to restrict protesters to the sidewalks.

“They are like flies at a picnic,” Christiansen said of the protesters, who were still present on the first day the clinic opened. “They are annoying, but they will not deter us from providing our services or deter those seeking our services.”

The clinic will offer services including preventative care, annual breast exams and cervical cancer screening, sexual education, contraceptive counseling and surgical abortions. The center also trains physicians and serves those beyond their childbearing years.

More than 1,000 donors raised the money needed to build the clinic, which Christiansen feels is itself a demonstration of the support from the community.

“It was an extensive process to raise the money, but the clinic provides a service the community needs,” said Lisa Boyce, vice president of public affairs for the new Planned Parenthood.

The reception area of the clinic boasts a “Wall of Honor” where donors who gave more than $100 could have their names inscribed on the wall.

“The wall is there to show patients there is a whole community supporting them and their decision,” Boyce said.

Sande, however, does not see the wall in such a way. Instead, he said, “it should really be called the ‘Wall of Shame.'” He said that protests would continue on a daily basis “in hopes of transforming the consciences and hearts of those who work there.”

Planned Parenthood owns the building, which gave the facility the opportunity to build the center for its specific needs.

“This ensures women will have the right to choose for a long time to come,” Boyce said. “We are not going anywhere.”