Women underrepresented in national university research facilities

According to a study released by the University of Oklahoma last week, women are severely underrepresented at the nation?s top research universities.

While the number of female PhD and Bachelor?s degree recipients has become equal to men in almost all scientific disciplines, the number of females in tenured positions is very low, even lower for minorities.

Dr. Donna Nelson, co-author of the study and associate professor of chemistry at the University of Oklahoma, points out the catch-22 for women in scientific fields.

?There is a lack of role models for women,? Nelson said. ?Women are making up half the degree recipients in math, but there are hardly any women in mentor positions to act as a role model for these women.?

Nelson sees the lack of women already in these positions as a barrier to female applicants.

?It sends a message that women are not welcome in these fields,? he said.

While it has been known for some time that women are underrepresented in many fields, this study set out to thoroughly examine the number of women in associate professor and professor positions in science, engineering and technology, and studied race and rank as well as gender.

According to the study?s report, data shows few African American women in science and engineering departments and no Hispanic professors in computer science.

The study reveals that discrimination is still present in the application process.

?There are so many male stereotypes associated with science,? University of Wisconsin assistant professor of women?s studies and plant pathology Caitilyn Allen said. ?Review boards need to get past these stereotypes and work harder to recruit female applicants.?

Along with discrimination in the workplace, Nelson and Allen both state that there is no single reason as to why women are underrepresented. However, some reasons include discrimination, few female applicants, family life and lack of female role models.

?There are few women on editorial boards of scientific journals, they receive less grants, and usually get less lab space,? Nelson said. ?Women don?t want to apply because they see the environment that they would work in.?

This study not only gives statistics and facts, but also acts as a push to encourage more women being hired in tenure-track university positions. According to Nelson, the number of women in these positions is growing, but very slowly at about 0.35 percent each year. At this pace, it would take three decades for women to be equally represented.

Suggested advice from authors and sponsors of the study is for review boards and administrators to make a conscious effort to encourage female applicants and to be aware of stereotypes and discrimination.

?The concerns and problems of women and minorities [in these positions] should be listened to,? Nelson said.