Student groups campaign after Iowa

The University of Wisconsin chapter of Students for Kerry will meet today to discuss ways to further John Kerry?s presidential campaign.

After Kerry?s surprise first-place finish in Iowa last Monday, Don Eggert, co-chair of Students for Kerry, said he expects to see many new faces in the crowd.

?So much has changed because of Iowa,? Eggert said. ?People are rethinking their support.?

He added that he thinks a lot of people who were not previously interested will now show their support.

Although Eggert said it might be difficult to get the message out to UW students due to the first week of classes, he anticipates a good turnout.

Group members plan to discuss the events of Iowa and how they happened. They will also have students who volunteered at the Iowa caucus speak at the meeting.

Although Howard Dean was favored to win the college vote, Kerry won both the University of Iowa precinct and the Iowa State precinct.

Students for Howard Dean also will be campaigning today and into the weekend, according to Shira Roza, Wisconsin?s student coordinator for Dean. The group will be passing out flyers on Library Mall and at the Union.

Roza said the Iowa caucus has not deterred the Dean campaign.

?Right now we are just looking forward to New Hampshire and Wisconsin,? Roza said.

Roza said Students for Dean has ?tons of volunteers? and has a strong nationwide student group, which will help its efforts.

However, Students for Kerry remain confident the Iowa caucus will propel its campaign.
?We think we are going to win Madison,? Eggert said.

Both groups will meet every week from now until the presidential primary.