Abundance of ice on campus causes student falls

Commutes resume as students get back into the daily haul of the new semester. However, this time around, the ice-covered sidewalks are causing the more-than-occasional sight of someone falling throughout campus.

The ice accumulated after winter storms last week and has been difficult to remove during this week’s cold temperatures.

According to a city ordinance, snow and ice must be removed from all sidewalks, walkways and curb ramps by the property owner no later than noon on the day following a snowfall.

The ordinance also states that any ice not removed immediately must be “effectively sprinkled with sand, salt or other suitable substance” to protect pedestrians from danger until removal is possible.

However, the University of Wisconsin, not the city, is responsible for the removal of all ice on sidewalks on UW-owned property, and individual building custodians are responsible for walkways leading directly to building entrances, said Madison Housing Inspection Supervisor George Hank.

Several students have complained that icy conditions have not been properly handled and have slowed the commute between classes.

“I noticed a lot of ice around the Social Science building,” UW Junior Lori Jagielski said. “I noticed most students walking slower than usual to avoid falling on icy spots.”

Salt has been sprinkled across the city, though this may not be enough to keep walkers safe.

“In cold weather, you must also apply a sand mixture, because the salt will not melt the ice. Adding sand is the best way to add traction,” Hank said.

The Chemical and Environmental Safety Program implemented by the UW Safety Department in 1999 encourages the use of sand mixtures to prevent environmental damage caused by salt. According to this policy, UW strives to clear paths wide enough for walking when complete removal is not possible. The remaining areas are to be covered in a salt and sand mixture.

“You don’t have to clear the walkways from edge to edge to make them safe for walking,” Hank said, emphasizing that property owners should still try to remove at least 85 percent of the snow and ice from walking areas.

Even with the smallest bit of ice in certain areas of the city, walkers are taking spills.

“If you hit your head in a fall, try to be aware of symptoms such as nausea, an increase in drowsiness, or loss of balance,” said Meg Hamel, a Communications Specialist at University Health Services. “If you have a headache, try taking acetaminophen. If it does not improve, call UHS to speak with a medical expert.”

Amy Miller, a nurse practitioner at UHS, has noted cautious behavior on the ice.

“Students returning for the new semester have been pretty careful walking on the slick ice, so we haven’t seen many fall-related injuries. Still, it’s worth taking common-sense precautions like choosing the shoes with the best grip before you head out to class.”