Edwards hypes education in Milwaukee

By

U.S. presidential hopeful Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., emphasized job creation and education at a campaign stop in Milwaukee Monday.

Edwards was the first candidate to attend and speak at the state Democratic Party’s “Working for Wisconsin” forum, hosted by Gov. Jim Doyle. These dialogues are intended to inform Wisconsin residents about the Democratic candidates and focus on the economy.

“This is the first time in a generation that the Wisconsin primary will really count,” Doyle said before introducing Edwards. “That’s why I’m happy to be hosting these candidate forums.”

Edwards criticized the Bush Administration for its lack of focus on economic and job stability. He said Bush is more concerned with constituents who hold wealth and money and with making sure those who have it, keep it, rather than stressing hard work and responsibility.

“George Bush has no contact with real Americans,” Edwards said. “We have been in the best financial condition when the middle class was stronger and more in control. Our responsibility as Democrats is to protect that potential.”

He suggested providing economic incentives for companies that keep jobs in the United States, create “fair trade, not just free trade” and make sure economic opportunities also extend to minorities in inner cities.

Another way to reach this goal, Edwards said, is to improve education in both public schools and universities. He described the problem with inequalities in educational opportunities as being based on socioeconomic divisions.

“We still have two public schools, and it’s not based on race,” Edwards said. “It’s based on economic conditions.” He added that America should focus on civil and equal rights for everyone.

By improving the quality of education for everyone and boosting educational efforts in research and technology, the United States would be in better shape, according to Edwards.

“That has made us the economic power we are today,” Edwards said. “We need to maintain that science and technology and mathematic edge. We need to make sure we have the young people to compete with those around the world.”

Edwards also talked about his “College for Everyone” plan, in which the government provides free tuition for the first year to every student who works part-time while attending a public university or community college.

“I think it’s a great idea, but I want to see how he plans to implement that,” University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee freshman Matt Jorgenson said with skepticism.

Jorgenson said he has not yet decided whom he plans to vote for but wants to get to know the candidates better and choose one who can connect with the average person.

“I think the forum was very beneficial just because it actually gets the candidates to speak about their plans and relate them to local issues,” Jorgenson said.

Chris Lato, spokesperson for the Republican Party of Wisconsin, said the party is not directly involved in the forums but would have people available to talk about their views when the candidates visit. He also said the Democratic candidates’ ideas concerning the country are going in “the wrong direction.”

“They’re all calling for tax increases … which is a horribly bad idea,” Lato said. “I feel they have nothing else to offer.”

DPW spokesperson Seth Bofelli, however, said the first forum was successful and had a good, diverse crowd, considering the short notice, with only 10 days to organize and schedule the event.

“I think based on what we saw today and the amount of coverage, it’s now an easier sell,” Bofelli said.

Bofelli added that the challenge is finding holes in both the candidates’ and the governor’s schedules in which to conduct the individual forums. No other meetings are on the calendar for the next few weeks, mainly because of the Thanksgiving holidays.

However, Bofelli expects one or two forums to be held in early December and most of the rest before Wisconsin’s primary Feb. 17.

At the end of Edwards’ speech, Doyle went around the room with a microphone for a question-and-answer session with the audience. Issues of concern included health care, prescription drugs and labor-union rights. Edwards concluded the forum by expressing the need for a change in administration.

“I believe in an America where a son of a mill worker can beat a son of a president,” Edwards said.