Decreased binge-drinking linked to diversity

Campus diversity may reduce binge-drinking, according to a Harvard University study released Thursday.

“Diversity appears to be a factor in binge-drinking,” said Dr. Henry Wechsler, the lead author of the study. “Having a more diverse campus or more diverse living arrangements within campuses might help decrease binge-drinking.”

Over 50,000 students replied to the study, which was conducted at 114 predominantly white colleges, or those with a white population of 50 percent or more, which Wechsler said is the case for most colleges in the U.S.

The study found more diverse campuses to have significantly less binge-drinking than campuses with little or no diversity.

Wechsler found that 44 percent of students at four-year colleges are binge-drinkers. For men, binge-drinking is classified as having five or more drinks in a row at least once in a two-week period. For women, four drinks or more in a row classifies binge-drinking.

Younger white males are most likely to binge-drink, while African and Asian Americans, females, and older students are less likely to be mass consumers of alcohol, the study found.

Wechsler, the director of the Harvard School of Public Health’s College Alcohol Studies, noted that the study was not limited to racial diversity because it included age as well.

Aaron Brower, University of Wisconsin professor of social work and associate director of Integrated Liberal Studies, said he agrees with the premise of the study.

“I absolutely agree that the culture at an institution is probably the single biggest factor that drives binge-drinking,” Brower said. “If you come to a campus, and the expectation is that everyone drinks, then everyone will drink.”

Brower is the principal investigator for the PACE project, a UW organization that aims to reduce binge-drinking on campus. Some of PACE’s main initiatives include limiting late-night drink specials and supporting alternatives to high-risk drinking.

Wechsler said various factors of a college campus can contribute to binge-drinking.

“In most instances, colleges are surrounded by rings of bars and liquor stores, and these compete with each other for customers and offer reduced prices, which encourages students to drink,” Wechsler said.

Wechsler also proposed colleges rethink freshman dorms, which he feels fuel binge-drinking. He said eliminating housing with a high concentration of young people would greatly reduce binge-drinking.

He also suggested that fraternities and sororities require seniors to live in the houses in order to create role models for high-risk binge-drinkers.

Wechsler said colleges should evaluate the benefits of diversity on campuses and rethink admissions policies if they want to reduce the problem of binge-drinking.

“It is certainly not going to eliminate binge-drinking, but it is a factor,” he said.