Study: Education abroad often leads to overseas employment

In a recent survey released by the Institute for the International Education of Students, almost all of the 3,000 respondents, 96 percent, stated that they experienced boosts in self-confidence after studying abroad.

The IIES survey also concluded that nearly half of those who studied abroad returned to work or visit in the country where they traveled, and more than one in three use the language skills they acquired on a regular basis.

The study also showed that 69 percent of students who held internships abroad were later influenced in career choice as a result.

Joan Raducha, UW director of International Academic Programs, said she sees the same results from students who travel abroad at UW.

“Students tell us that they learn about the host country, but also about themselves, as they have to master living in a different cultural milieu,” Raducha said, adding that students often gain a deeper understanding of American culture while abroad. “Students report that their understanding of the U.S. deepens as well, as they see the country through the eyes of others.”

When Maren Lee came to the University of Wisconsin, she had never left the country. All that changed when Lee, now a UW senior, decided to study abroad for a semester in London.

“I had always been fascinated with English and British history,” Lee said. “To actually go to the places that I had read about was amazing.”

Lee lists her newfound self-confidence and spotting Prince Charles on the street among the countless benefits studying abroad has to offer.

“It was a whole new experience for me. It gave me a new sense of self and showed me what I can handle and what I can do,” Lee said. “Being in other countries and seeing how others live, by interacting with them, gave me a new perspective of the world and the U.S.,” she said. “You don’t see what it is to be American until you go abroad.”

About 1,300 UW students travel abroad every year, 65 percent of them studying in Europe. The most popular programs at UW are Florence, London and Spain. UW offers more than 70 programs on every continent, with the exception of Antarctica.

UW senior Jessica Marzolf, who spent last year studying in Kenya working in the UN office on a HIV/AIDS prevention program, said her experience played a role in later life choices.

“It was a huge opportunity that I wouldn’t have had here,” Marzolf, who now plans on a career in public health, said. “It made me refocus on what it was I wanted to do.”

No matter where students study, many agree that the benefits last long beyond the experience itself.

“Traveling and studying in other countries lets you learn about yourself, who you want to be and what changes you want to make in the world,” Marzolf said. “It opens up so many doors and possibilities.”