Awareness should play role in smoking prevention

Smoking is widespread and on the rise. With more than one-third of college students nationwide striking that match on a regular basis, one is left wondering what attracts students to this habit?

Does the attraction stem from advertising? Students say “no,” while experts say “yes.”

What studies show, however, is the concrete evidence that students are indeed smoking, and Wisconsinites are lighting up more than people in every other state in the U.S. The facts are astounding, and the dangers are just as prevalent as ever before. So why now in the 21st Century, when the risks are heavily publicized, are more and more college age students taking their first drag?

Dr. Stevens S. Smith, an assistant professor in the department of medicine at the University of Wisconsin, believes a clear understanding of the addictiveness of smoking must continue to be promoted.

Beginning at a young age, children receive anti-smoking education through programs like D.A.R.E. and health classes. However, it is quite clear that the messages of these programs are not carrying over into students’ post-secondary education years. Perhaps it would be beneficial to take a closer look at the truths behind the tobacco industry — its slyness with direct efforts made to target children in the ’80s, and their present direct efforts to target college-age students … at least Smith thinks so.

“Anything that can be done to help students understand the addictiveness of smoking and the risks of experimenting with smoking would be helpful,” Smith said. “If college students really understood how the tobacco companies have shaped beliefs, attitudes and norms about smoking through advertising and promotions just so that they can make exorbitant profits off of addicted smokers, I think that students would not be so quick to smoke.”

It couldn’t hurt to keep boosting up the price of cigarettes either. In time, all of the broke college students would be unable to afford their next pack.