Needed: Crash course in ethics

Cheating has become an increasing problem over the years and a “norm” among many college students, with exam papers now on the Internet and accessible for a small fee, with the assignment of frequent take-home exams, and with the old-fashioned methods such as peeking over one’s neighbor’s shoulder remaining prevalent.

Students are cheating more than ever before, and yet academic-honesty policies are constantly reinforced. As University of Wisconsin freshmen, many sign forms in classes agreeing to the understanding of the ethical guidelines laid out for them by UW… and yet many students turn around and violate those policies. However, the students who do choose to cheat should not overshadow the honest bunch.

The easy assumption to automatically jump to is that students are lazy and, therefore, resort to such extremes as cheating. However, it is quite clear that these “forbidden” actions have become acceptable to students, based on the astounding percentages of those who openly admit to doing so.

The means that people will go to for a good grade perhaps suggests that the pressure to perform well stresses out students. It has become so easy to cheat, and the temptations are definitely there … as well as the consequences.

UW students are used to performing well in high school and achieving good grades, and they probably did it with not nearly as much hard work as needed to earn those same marks here.

That’s not to say that it is therefore okay for students to go those extra measures to get that good grade.

What students often forget is that although they are being educated at UW and are here to earn good grades, they are also and more importantly here to receive a top-notch education — and, you know, learn something. Although it seems unlikely that people will stop cheating anytime soon, as part of the UW community it becomes appalling to be a part of cheating scandals and to have such negative attention drawn to such an impressive institution.

However, the attention has drifted and professors are doing everything in their power to fix the problem that occurred. And the thing is this, these sorts of “collaborations” happen often in all departments.

When Larry Rittenberg, UW accounting professor and director of the five-year accounting professional program, said all students could use a crash course in ethics, he was not kidding.

Perhaps all students could truly benefit from an extensive summer lesson in ethics.