Women outnumber men in college enrollment

College enrollment rises nationwide year after year, but now enrollment numbers specific to the sexes show women are increasingly prevalent on the educational scene at large and outnumber their male counterparts.

At the University of Wisconsin, undergraduate women outnumber men by almost 2,000 students. In addition, most professional students, or those studying to be lawyers, doctors, veterinarians and pharmacists, are women.

Although women make up 53 percent of the UW population, females now earn 55 percent of its undergraduate degrees. This statistic has changed dramatically since 1981, when women received only 48 percent of baccalaureates awarded.

Dean of Students Luoluo Hong noted that the female four-year graduation rate is now higher than the male four-year rate.

“All data nationally indicates that women are [earning degrees] at faster rates than men,” Hong said. “They perform well academically, seem to be in more of the campus leadership positions … and overall are more involved.”

However, both men and women entering college share similar test scores and performance records. Studies have proven that the brains of both men and women perform at an equal physiological level in education.

Aaron Brower, an expert in creating successful learning environments for students in higher education and UW professor of social work and Integrated Liberal Studies, said much of women’s success is derived from their social tendencies.

“Women feel like they can ask for help,” Brower said. “And success in college depends on connecting with peers and seeking support.”

According to Brower, women are more compelled to seek support because it is more socially acceptable for them to do so, while men subscribe to thinking they must push through difficult coursework and studies independently.

Brower also said seeking support and aid in times of need is paramount in higher education, so the idea that men and women must conform to these widely accepted stereotypes affects men negatively.

Although women outnumber and outperform men in many categories, some typically male-dominated fields of study remain largely untouched by female students. The school of engineering, for example, awarded only about 20 percent of its degrees to women in 2000.

Researchers believe that one possible cause for women’s lack of participation in male-dominated fields is called “stereotype threat.” According to a recent study performed at Virginia Tech, stereotype threat is known to affect women in engineering courses.

In the study, a group of men and women were given a very difficult engineering test to complete. The women in the group, though well versed in engineering topics, performed significantly worse than their male colleagues.

The study concluded that many women taking the test became discouraged, believing their gender inhibited their ability.

UW professor of higher education and education administration Clifton Conrad said that although much progress has been made with the appearance and success of women in higher education, much remains to be done.

“Faculty and staff members need to recommit to creating a [welcoming] environment in all fields of study, beyond the larger cultural challenge,” Conrad said. “It’s not enough to just invite them to the club.”