UW equipment burglarized

Offices on the University of Wisconsin campus were burglarized of more than $100,000 in equipment over Labor Day weekend.

Rooms in Vilas Hall and Helen C. White College Library were forcibly entered sometime during the three-day weekend. In just the Vilas Hall break-ins, $97,000 worth of still camera, video and computer equipment was stolen, including a $60,000 broadcast quality camera stolen from the studios of public television station WHA-TV. The Vilas Hall Box Office was also broken into with nothing reported stolen.

Det. Steven Maeder of the UW Police Department said when people returned to the offices Tuesday morning, the incident was noticed quickly.

“It’s one of those things, especially in the case of a broadcast-quality camera worth $60,000, that you notice immediately,” Maeder said.

Maeder said all the doors to burglarized rooms appear to have been locked, broken into and then locked again. Maeder also said UW Police were still in the process of gathering facts and hadn’t yet determined who might be responsible, but had reason to believe the burglary happened Friday or Saturday night.

“Burglars often pick these weekends because they assume people won’t be around, they’ll be out of town or just not at work,” Maeder said.

Maeder asked that anyone with information regarding the burglaries to contact UW Police. Campus police often investigate cases such as disorderly conducted in which there are multiple witnesses, but in cases involving late-night breaking and entering there are often few to no witnesses.

“We don’t know what kind of person or operation would have an interest in a broadcast-quality camera,” Maeder said. “Hopefully, someone with come forward with information about that. It could even be up on Ebay right now.”