SERF complete after 2 decades of negotiations

Features Editor

When the Southeast Recreational Facility opened its doors in 1983, University of Wisconsin officials had already begun drafting a plan for significant revisions after noticing clear flaws in the new center.

Despite boasting two gymnasiums, racquetball courts, cardio and weight rooms and an indoor pool, many complained the SERF lacked sufficient space and sufficient air conditioning to comfortably accommodate the large number of people using the facilities on a regular basis.

Authorities in charge of the original design realized these potential problems well before the SERF was complete, but ill-timed budget cuts prevented them from doing anything about it.

John Paine, UW director of recreational facilities, drafted a plan to remodel the SERF a full year before the original building was even completed. It has taken more than 20 years for authorities to approve the additions requested by Paine and others from back in 1982. However, despite the lengthy amount of time spent negotiating the addition, the new wing is finally complete.

The three-story addition features a larger cardio room — complete with air conditioning, 67 pieces of new equipment and five 42-inch plasma TVs- as well as two new basketball courts, a second set of courts that doubles as volleyball courts and a fully air-conditioned group fitness studio.

Not to be outdone, the original part of the SERF was completely renovated as well. The pool has been fully refurbished, the weight room expanded and the old cardio room filled with 12 state-of-the-art free-motion machines which are said to be easier on the joints.

According to Paine, the improvements have already been “a big hit” with students and faculty and he’s personally “very proud” of the results.

When it was originally constructed in 1983, the SERF was only meant to serve the 3,900 students living in campus high-rise dormitories across the street, but in the past year alone, an estimated more than 500,000 participants used the facility, causing mass over-crowding. The ratio of students to available space was so bad that many students went once and never came back.

“When I used to go and try to work out, I couldn’t even get on a machine, so it was a total waste,” UW senior Jana Weiland said. “I definitely notice the difference. It’s so much bigger, and I think I’ll use it a lot more now.”

Although the SERF was still under construction a week before classes began, Director of Recreational Sports Dale Carruthers assured students, “Everything will definitely be complete by the time classes resume.”

The $6.5 million cost of the project will raise student fees $6.49 per semester, a move which was approved during a student referendum in February 1998.

“Students will definitely get their money’s worth and then some,” Paine said.