Kentucky student injured in dorm fire

Melissa K. Autry, a freshman at Western Kentucky University, was injured in a dormitory fire early Sunday, which is now being termed as suspicious.

Autry, originally from Pelville, Ky., was in her room in Hugh Poland Hall when the fire began at approximately 4 a.m. The hall’s sprinkler system extinguished the fire, and Bowling Green firefighters took Autry out of her room almost immediately and transported her to the medical center at Bowling Green. From there, Autry was transferred to Vanderbilt University Hospital. Upon the request of her parents, the hospital has not released any information regarding her health.

Students reported seeing Autry carried out of the room by her arms and legs by two firefighters. Her clothes were apparently burnt off.

Western Kentucky University spokesman Bob Skipper said he has not heard any new information regarding Autry’s health since Sunday night and that the hospital is not releasing any information.

At the time of Autry’s admittance into the hospital’s burn unit, she was in critical condition and suffering from superficial puncture wounds that Skipper emphasized were not life-threatening.

Skipper also said investigators are unaware as to when Autry received these wounds. The investigation is being led by Western Kentucky University Police with additional help from the Kentucky State Fire Marshal’s Office, Kentucky State Police and Bowling Green Fire Department.

A Kentucky State Police arson investigator was at the dorm Sunday afternoon to look into the fire that Skipper said seems “suspicious right now.”

Approximately 50 people were in Hugh Poland Hall when the fire began in a room on the second floor. However, the fire was successfully contained to one room in the nine-story dorm that holds 300 students.

All students were accounted for Sunday morning after the fire was extinguished.

Dorm residents noted that this was not the first fire to occur this semester. Skipper said there have been a couple of minor incidents in the past with something like a piece of paper catching on fire.

“In each case, the hall was evacuated,” Skipper said.

However, university officials have implemented extra security measures to make students feel safer while they finish their spring semester and take final exams this week.

“We have increased security at the hall to make students feel more secure,” Skipper said. He added that the number of students at the front desk has been increased, police will be present in the hall, and a 24-hour lockdown has been implemented instead of the doors only being locked at night.

“We are just trying to do everything we can right now,” he said.