Dialogue International holds Muslim celebration event

Dialogue International held ?Diversity in Muslim Culture? Thursday on Library Mall to give students a chance to experience ethnic dancing, cuisine and art.

?There is a lot of diversity that exists within the Muslim culture. It is a very dynamic religion,? said Colleen Madden, lead organizer of the event and member of Dialogue International. ?We just wanted to make it very accessible to the entire campus.?

Tables were set up throughout Library Mall representing countries in which the Muslim religion is prevalent, including Egypt, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Syria and Turkey.

Booths showcased numerous articles that represented the countries in different ways. Music and video were part of many booths and art was prevalent at every table.

Persian Student Association president Arezou Daneshi stood behind a table featuring Persian poetry and music, and general information with a focus on religious background, arts and crafts and cookies.

?The main point of the fair is diversity in Islam,? Daneshi said, noting some disappointment in the number of people who came out for the event but still saying she was pleased with the overall outcome.

Shahin Khalili, an Iranian and a member of the Muslim Students Association and Multicultural Student Coalition, gave a speech during the fair, telling the crowd how lost she felt when first coming to Madison..

?With time, I learned how to pray,? Khalili said. ?Thank God for the Muslims in Madison … People looked at me for who I was.?

Preceding Khaili?s speech was a solo Pakistani dance performed by a woman dressed in authentic bright gold, pink and purple garb. She briefly explained what she would be doing during her performance, particularly showing her gold bracelets.

?We wanted to show people the diversity of Muslims,? Muslim Student Association member Sahar Abdelrahman said. ?You?ll find people from everywhere … here?s the world right in front of you.?

Both Khalili and Abdelrahman demonstrated pleasure with the success of the fair and the number of people who attended.

?We just wanted to make it all very accessible to the entire campus,? Madden said, noting the misconception that all Muslims are the same. ?Everyone can learn about different ways that cultures celebrate Islam.?