University of Maryland shooting leaves one dead, one wounded

A shooting Friday on the University of Maryland campus left one man and one woman shot; one is dead and the other is in grave condition.

Prince George’s County Police and the University Police received 911 calls at 12:42 p.m. reporting a shooting in the arena parking garage, according to police reports. Police were dispatched to the scene within minutes of the call.

The two individuals were rushed to area hospitals via helicopter, where the man was pronounced dead at 3:34 p.m.

Victim Ki-Seong Kim, 21, of Silver Spring, Md., had no affiliation with the university. However, the female, 20, whose name has yet to be released, is an Asian student at the university and resident of Burtonsville, Md. She was listed in grave condition Friday; no further information has been given regarding her health.

Before the shooting occurred, a man allegedly approached a woman who was seated in a car parked in the garage and they proceeded to converse. Initial witnesses reported that the two had some conversation before the male shot the female with a pistol and then proceeded to shoot himself.

Police later recovered a gun by the scene of the shooting.

“The university community is shocked and saddened by the shooting that took place in a campus parking garage,” University of Maryland’s president C.D. Mote said Friday. “We extend our sincerest thoughts and prayers for both of these young people and for the recovery of our student. We also pray for the strength of their families and loved ones to help them move through this most terrible tragedy.”

The campus chapel was open Saturday for those who wanted to gather for support and prayer. Counselors are also available for students and others seeking support in the Counseling Center in Shoemaker Hall.

Both Prince George’s Country Police and the University of Maryland police are currently working together with homicide and crime lab investigators to gather more information regarding the shooting.

“The University Police and Prince George’s County Police are continuing the investigation and will release additional information as it becomes available,” Mote said.