A whale of a problem

South Florida officials have a whale of problem on their hands.

Seven out of 28 beached pilot whales are in captivity in Big Pine Key, Fla. after they beached themselves Friday off of the Florida Keys.

Five were initially found dead and two were euthanized. The other whales have either died from the beaching or have swum back to the Gulf.

The seven whales in captivity are being held 31 miles north of Key West and require round-the-clock treatment with antibiotics and feedings with Pedialyte to keep them hydrated.

“Mass strandings are when pilot whales beach themselves. Pilot whales are the most commonly stranded whales,” stranding coordinator Denise Jackson said. “It usually occurs when a whale swims too close to the shoreline and the immediate family goes in to help and they get stranded too. In some ways, they’re more humane than humans.”

Jackson is hopeful the seven in captivity will be saved; however, success rates in whale beachings are very rare.

“It’s very difficult with situations like this because we are constantly learning with every beaching. We still aren’t sure what works and what doesn’t to keep the whales healthy,” Jackson said.

When whales are beached, it is extremely detrimental to their health. They need constant fluid to keep hydrated because they are underwater mammals. When beached, their weight crushes their internal organs because of zero underwater gravity and their ribs are not rigid like their muscle.

Officials are unsure why whales become beached; however, it is speculated that whales’ sonar, or sound echo abilities, are skewed with radio signals from humans. They can then lose their way.

“It’s hard to see if the whales become stranded because of human means or not. I know people are trying to study the middle ear functions to see if that’s what causes the disorientation,” Professor of Veterinary Anethisiology David Brunson said.

Brunson likened the behavior to groups of walruses that have on occasion followed one another and become disoriented, even walking over cliffs. Pilot whales are still being studied as to why this phenomenon occurs. Brunson predicts that whale beaching will be studied for years to come.

“It’s sad and intriguing to us as people to see why they do that. When we see whales do that, they’re going where they don’t normally go,” Brunson said.

Jackson said the whales will stay in captivity as long as necessary. In 1995, during the last mass beaching, whales were held for 64 days. All medical supplies are donated and volunteers work for free.

“The community effort has been tremendous for us. If we would have had to pay for what we’ve done already, it would be in the tens of thousands of dollars,” Jackson said.