Faculty Senate votes down war resolution

Filing a resolution in opposition to the war in Iraq was a main topic of discussion at the Faculty Senate meeting Monday; however, after much debate and a 58-41 vote, it was decided that a resolution of this sort would not be filed.

Joel W. Robbin, Faculty Senate member and professor of mathematics, submitted the request.

“I oppose the war for three reasons: a lot of innocent people, mostly Iraqis, will die; the U.S. will initiate this war against the sentiment of the international community and in violation of international law; and the war sets a dangerous precedent,” reads the motion that Robbin presented.

Robbin said that the issue discussed at Monday’s meeting was not whether the Senate was for or against the war but instead whether filing a resolution was in the scope of faculty governance.

Donald Downs, Faculty Senate member and professor of political science, said that many argued for the resolution. However, the official statement put out by the Senate says that it is not appropriate for these individuals to put out a resolution representing all these people.

“The Faculty Senate is not the official body of the University of Wisconsin, and it can’t speak for every faculty member,” Downs said. “I agree with what the Senate did.”

However, Robbin strongly believes that this resolution should have been passed. He said there has been a monumental shift in the United States’s behavior in the war, and he no longer agrees with it.

“Everyone I talk to opposes the war,” Robbin said, noting that he is disappointed \ that there has been no respectable opposition made to his opinion. “I felt a duty to express opinion on this.”

Downs said that it is fine for professors to protest the war by signing petitions, creating groups and the like, but that without 100 percent agreement in the Senate and among the faculty as a whole, it was not appropriate to express such opposition. He said that when a professor decides to protest the war by signing a petition, for example, he or she is acting with 100 percent agreement from a sovereign body, which makes it legitimate.

“Professors have every right in the world to protest the war,” Downs said.

However, he did note that he was surprised that there was not more support for the resolution.

“More and more schools are passing this … it is surprising that we did not do it,” Downs said.

The Faculty Senate has responsibility for the immediate governance of the university. The Senate “shall actively participate in university policy development.” Members also have the main responsibility for the academic and educational activities and for faculty personnel matters. The Senate convenes once a month.