Four Jordanian college students killed by missile in Iraq

Over the weekend, four Jordanian college students were killed in northern Iraq when the car they were traveling in was hit by a missile. This event came a day before the Al- Mustansiriya University in Baghdad was hit by a bomb during strikes.

The four students killed Saturday had been studying at the University of Mosul and were attempting to flee by car from the war steadily building in Iraq. Students had been advised to return to Jordan by the Jordanian Embassy in Baghdad before attacks began. These students delayed leaving and were trying to return through Syria.

More than two-thirds of the Jordanian students studying at the University of Mosul had already left for home prior to the start of the bombings.

Approximately 3,000 Jordanian students were enrolled in a number of universities surrounding the Iraq area before the war broke out and students were advised to evacuate immediately.

Many Jordanians study at universities in Iraq on bilateral scholarships that are offered to students from the two countries. A number of other countries in the region have similar programs, which is why large numbers of Jordanians also study at universities located throughout Syria and Egypt.

Classes were also not in session at the Al-Mustansiriya University at the time it was hit. Classes have been suspended until further notice because of the threat of U.S. and British air attacks.

The blast injured a number of bystanders and created a crater about 10 yards wide and three yards deep at one of the university entrances. The blast also damaged a number of area shops by blowing out glass windows.

The university is located in the old section of the city along the Tigris River behind the Ministry of Defense, which puts it in a likely area for attack.

When the university was built in 1233, it was specifically designed as an Islamic college with the main intent of promoting an ecumenical form of Sunni Islam. At the time, Baghdad was the center of the Islamic empire.

University officials at a number of colleges in Iraq have noted that Jordanian students are beginning to return; however, classes are still not in session.