College basketball player indifferent to stars and stripes

Toni Smith, a senior and Division III basketball player at Manhattanville College in Purchase, NY, continues to turn her head away from the U.S. flag when the national anthem is played before the games as she has throughout the season; an action that in some instances has sparked outrage from students and game crowds.

Smith has continued to make a 90-degree turn away from the flag and look toward the floor during the opening ceremony so as to avoid eye contact with outraged fans.

At the Manhattanville game against Mount St. Mary College last week, six of her fellow teammates stood at attention with their hands on their chests and three stood with their heads bowed and their arms at their sides while Smith looked away.

This move has drawn attention to the player and the small liberal arts college educating 1,400 students.

Smith was booed at Thursday night’s game at Mount St. Mary College. The Mount St. Mary student government handed out small flags before the game where more than 500 people filled the gym and apparently heckled Smith whenever the chance arose.

Smith released a statement regarding her actions in which she said she is protesting “that the government’s priorities are not on bettering the quality of life for all of its people, but rather on expanding its own power.”

Manhattanville College president Richard Berman is being supportive of Smith’s right to express her opinion.

“While Ms. Smith is expressing her personal views and not necessarily those of the college, the first amendment guarantees her right to do so,” Berman said. “Manhattanville asks only that all views be expressed — and received — with respect and dignity.”

While Smith’s actions continue, protests are scheduled to follow.

Manhattanville played at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Feb. 11, where more than 300 cadets waving the American flag chanted “USA” and “Leave our country” in Smith’s direction.

“For some time now, the inequalities that are embedded into the American system have bothered me. As they are becoming progressively worse and it is clear that the government’s priorities are not on bettering the quality of life for all of its people, but rather on expanding its own power, I cannot, in good conscience, salute the flag,” Smith said.