Echoes of talent: Open Mic Night

Every Thursday evening, sounds of University of Wisconsin students’ musical talent echo throughout the dark depths of Memorial Union’s Rathskeller as students from all areas of interest vie for limited spots to perform at Open Mic Night.

The open mic runs from 9 p.m. to midnight with an additional hour of karaoke afterward.

Host Aaron Jossart said he takes pride in managing the largest open-mic night in the nation, with between 500 and 700 people attending on a good night.

“Our crowds are not only the largest in the country, but they are also the most welcoming,” Jossart said. “Open Mic Night is a great place for up-and-coming artists to try out their material. The non-threatening atmosphere of the event is beneficial for first-timers to become comfortable with the spotlight.”

One Open Mic Night hopeful said he is completely confident and relaxed for his performance debut next Thursday.

“In general, the crowds are very forgiving when the musicians make mistakes, and that is important to me,” he said.

Every Thursday night show is broadcast on Open Mic Night’s website, which gives the musicians further exposure. Many musicians are able to use this exposure as a gateway to bigger and better opportunities in the Madison music scene and beyond. Such national entities as Jim Breuer of “Saturday Night Live” began at UW in the Rathskeller.

UW student Eric Hoffman said the best thing about attending Open Mic Night is the laid-back, chill atmosphere.

“To me, there is not anything more engaging than to be submerged in a positive, artistic environment,” Hoffman said. “It’s so cool to see fellow students overcome their fears and be able to perform in front of all of their peers.”

Recently, the event has had some negative press concerning the content of an earlier event night during which audience participation went awry.

“Our mission every Thursday is to facilitate a good time for our audience,” Jossart said.

Jossart said during the shows everyone wants to perform and that he encourages the emergence of new faces into the scene. He acknowledged that giving the audience too much freedom could make musicians uncomfortable.

“The hosts of Open Mic Night learned a lesson from that night, which is to remain in control of the show the entire time, for the benefit of all those who participate and observe,” Jossart said.