Onion crew unsliced in Madison

Everybody in our generation grew up watching Bob Barker on “The Price Is Right,” listening to the 1990 hit “Ice, Ice Baby” and laughing at “Weird Al” Yankovic.

The five A.V. Club editors of the satirical newspaper, The Onion, shared their experience interviewing such entertaining and candid personalities Wednesday evening at the University Bookstore.

For 10 years, The Onion A.V. Club — the entertainment section of The Onion — has been interviewing entertainers and storytellers of every style and stripe.

The Onion’s newest publication, “The Tenacity of the Cockroach,” is a compilation of interviews, focusing on those with fascinating, hard-won careers, ranging from amiable retirees and passionate visionaries to bitter, jilted, eternally warring cranks.

Stephen Thompson, head editor of the A.V. Club, said The Onion seeks to interview interesting people rather than more popular celebrities.

“Our niche is entertainers and storytellers whose long-term career accomplishments don’t get much play in the media,” Thompson said.

The book, which is written in a question-and-answer format, lends fresh perspectives, colorful stories and sage advice from members of the pop-culture landscape.

Because The Onion started off as a small Madison-based newspaper, it had a hard time attracting well-known stars.

“We had to make due with what we could get,” editor Keith Phipps said.

“We are almost embarrassed by big names such as Hugh Grant — it isn’t about the name,” he said. “Once we got more popular however, we had more options.”

Despite the popularity of The Onion, the Madison crowd was sparse as compared to the larger turnout in Milwaukee and Chicago.

Stephen Thompson, a University of Wisconsin graduate, blamed the turnout on a bad book review in a Madison paper.

“This is the one place in the entire country where we were very poorly reviewed,” he said. “I do not understand why the guy at The (Daily) Cardinal hated our book,” he said. “I used to write for the Cardinal!”

Thompson said he put a lot of effort into promoting his new book around campus, but he wasn’t surprised with the small audience.

“Your hometown is the least impressed. It is like high school. Everybody still remembers the day you didn’t wear underwear and your humiliating nickname,” Thompson said.