Reality TV visits 70 square miles of unreality

Casting agents for Bunim/Murray Productions and New Line Cinema were at State Street Brats yesterday afternoon looking for a new star.

The reps were searching for young people to star in a new reality-based movie centered on spring break in Mexico.

“We’re looking for people 18 to 22 years old who won’t be scared of a camera,” said Justin Tetley of Real Casting. “They should be energetic, enthusiastic, interesting and photogenic — but that doesn’t necessarily mean gorgeous.”

Agents will be in town at various locations until Saturday.

After a brief application, those applying will be subjected to an on-camera interview and then a longer, more in-depth second application.

“The second application is everything you could imagine,” said Tetley. “We ask about sex, life, dreams, your ideal spring break, what you do in school, your most embarrassing moment. It’s things you’d ask if you were playing Truth or Dare.”

The documentary is based on the real-life adventures of groups of three students from various colleges as they party in Mexico.

“We want to know what would they do on their spring break,” Tetley said. “It’s not like ‘Girls Gone Wild.'”

Tetley also said this production will not be like other reality-based TV shows like “The Real World” and “Road Rules” despite being aired on MTV.

“It’s bigger than MTV; it’s New Line,” he said. “People get that implication anyway. But if it’s on the network, they didn’t necessarily produce it.”

University of Wisconsin freshman Valerie Byrne was one of the first in line to sign up at Brats.

“I read about it, and I thought I should go,” she said.

Despite the threat of having a camera in her face 24 hours a day, seven days a week, Byrne wasn’t worried about being overexposed.

“I’m not ashamed of what I’ll do,” Byrne said. “Anything I do will be what I am there for. This isn’t voyeurism; we know we’re on camera. We’ll just be doing regular, spring-break stuff.”

Three UW students made national headlines a few years ago during another spring break special. The featured UW students in that season’s spring break came home to find themselves infamous for binge-drinking and the inventors of the “triple kiss.” University officials raised concerns about the tarnished image of the student body as a whole.

Byrne believed the same concerns about this project were unfounded.

“Its ridiculous for them to say that we’re not representing the university,” Byrne said. “There’s all sorts of different people on campus, including people who like to have fun. It celebrates our diversity. Madison is kind of a drinking school, and Wisconsin is a drinking state in general.”

However, Byrne added she would not want to return to school known as “the puke girl.”

“I would think kids would drink,” said Tetley when asked about the same issues.

“It’s going to be a typical spring break. You picture Cancun, and you know there will be some drinking.”

Tetley said the reality of spring break would be preserved.

“I don’t think it’s going to be that cheesy. It’s more serious. We’ll be taping all day. I don’t think they’re going to wake up at 9 a.m. and start drinking,” Tetley said.

Susan Crowley, a director at University Health Services, said she was not familiar with the project but voiced her concerns.

“It seems targeted to underage drinkers,” Crowley said. “Kids that are drinking without any kind of supervision or close friends around, they have to think about sexual assault, property damage, you name it.”

Crowley offered an alternative to the traditional spring break.

“There are more and more service-learning opportunities. They can take these activities to the next level in the real ‘Real World,'” Crowley said.