UW highlights International Student Services

In an effort to introduce the diverse cultures of the University of Wisconsin’s international students, the International Student Services department conducted an open house Wednesday.

Touted by President Bush as an example of “our country’s efforts to integrate with youth throughout the world and contribute to the cultural diversity of our nation,” the ISS event forwarded its mission of providing orientation, documentation, information, and education to and about international students.

“We can really make this work well for them,” said interim director Judy Brodd of the university’s population of more than 3,500 international students. “We try to figure out what they need. If they need to see an advisor, if they have questions about their immigration status, if they have any concerns, if they want to drop classes, we encourage them to come to us before they make these decisions.”

Brodd explained that with new legislation taking effect in January, students without certain credit requirements could accidentally run into trouble with Immigration and Naturalization Services.

Venky Seshadri, a graduate student from India who learned about the university on the Internet, credited the ISS for making him feel at home. “I don’t feel much out of place here,” he said. “Except for in the winter. It’s too cold.”

Although he said, “This university is not so much known there. There’s not much name recognition,” Seshadri was still drawn to the school. “It’s a high-ranked university, and the researching interested me.”

Seshadri went on to say, “I’m exposed to a lot of new things here, like the architecture. A lot of buildings here are made of wood. In my city, it is buildings of stone. It’s nice to see people care about old buildings and their culture.”

Graduate student Thitiporn Sanguanpiyapan, of Thailand, agreed that Madison was a good place to study.

“The city’s nice and safe,” she said. “That’s why my parents let me come here.”

However, Sanguanpiyapan did have her reservations.

“I’ll probably go back to my home country after graduation,” she said. “It’s hard to get a job here. Sometimes you go to get a job and they have a policy against foreign students. I’m disappointed. We came here to get job experience.”

In addition to the decorations, ISS showed proof of more than 12,000 visitors last year with the display of native clothing from around the world throughout the offices. Included was the Hanbok, a traditional, colorful costume for children of Korea. Also displayed was an Indian outfit made by the Kameez, Salwar, and Orhana and the Ndoket of Senegal.

“We ask the students to contribute clothing,” said Brodd. “We’re also asking them to bring back postcards from their home countries. Then we rotate the exhibits.”

Brodd also mentioned the ISS social events. “Tuesdays we always have coffee. We also have international potluck dinners twice a semester, where all the students bring an ethnic dish.

Brodd stressed that these and other events are open to all students, international and domestic: “We like to have as many students as can come.”

With all the services, social events, exhibits and literature surrounding him, Seshadri laughed when asked about his future plans.

“That’s at least three years ahead of me,” he said. “Right now, while I’m in school, my duty is to have fun.”