Online education offers an alternative to the traditional college experience

In the fast-paced business world, there is not always time to take a few years off of work to get a college degree. Online colleges and degree programs are an increasingly popular option for those who need a college education without taking off of work.

Many online programs have a very pragmatic approach to education; they seek to teach students about real world applications of the skills they’re learning.

“Because you’re actually working as you do the courses you can see the relevance of your learning more than if you were in a purely academic environment,” said Brian Price, a student in one of the University of Wisconsin online degree programs and a resident of Oshkosh, Wis.

In addition to many traditional colleges that offer online classes, there are also a growing number of universities that offer entire degree programs online.

The University of Phoenix Online, the largest private university in the United States, only accepts applicants over 23 years of age who are either currently employed at a job in which they can apply their education, or have access to such a job.

Because many online universities require that students are employed, the degrees offered in online programs also follow this practical application basis. Many degrees stress managerial skills and the application of those skills in the workplace.

Through online degree programs, adult students are able to balance work and continuing education in a non-traditional way.

“It was very convenient for me because it was suited to my time frame,” said Oscar Lewis, a 2001 graduate of the online master of engineering program at UW.

Of the many online classes offered at UW, one of the more established online degrees is offered through the engineering program. The master of engineering and professional practice program started in 1999 and is unique for an online degree because it is so interactive.

“There are programs out there that don’t support students,” said Karen Al-Ashkar, advisor for the online engineering program at the UW. “But we only accept 30 students into the program, and the focal point isn’t making money… We focus on teaching students skills that they can use in the workplace.”

Al-Ashkar likened classes offered through online degree programs to a seminar rather than a lecture hall.

“At a seminar students are sitting around a table discussing topics. … Our students just aren’t sitting around the same table,” said Al-Ashkar.