Minnesotans mourn Wellstone’s death

For a generation of new voters from Minnesota, the death of Sen. Paul Wellstone marks the departure of a veteran politician from the state’s political arena.

University of Wisconsin students who hail from Minnesota expressed their personal sorrow over the loss of a senator who many described as one of the few compassionate politicians remaining in today’s government.

UW junior A.J. Schumacher said the death hit him especially hard since he was away from his state of residence when he heard the news.

“It was very lonely being here,” Schumacher said. “For a lot of Madison students, [the death] didn’t register on their radar.”

Despite attending school in another state, many students from Minnesota said the death and the ensuing uncertainty it caused in the senate race had an impact on them.

They also expressed their sorrow over losing a compassionate political figure.

Summing up the sentiments of many, UW senior Nathan Weber said Wellstone “stood up for the little guy” throughout his political career.

Junior Erin Seyfried agreed that Wellstone’s propensity for addressing the needs of the people he served made him an irreplaceable senator.

“He was always working on issues that represented the people,” Seyfried said. “He was really passionate about people.”

Many students said they felt Wellstone provided a personal connection between government and the general public. Schumacher explained Wellstone’s appeal as being the result of his strict adherence to his system of values.

“I thought he had a tremendous conscience and always voted and acted with his heart,” Schumacher said. “I really respected him.”

Wellstone’s loyalty to his convictions gained him the admiration of UW senior Carrie Uutala, who said she grew up with Wellstone in office.

According to Uutala, Wellstone held a rare place in the hearts of Minnesota residents.

“He was one of the only politicians I felt personally connected to,” Uutala said. “He always seemed to act on his convictions. Losing him was a blow to all of us.”

She compared her feelings toward Wellstone to the feelings many of her native Wisconsin friends feel toward Sen. Russ Feingold, saying that both senators seemed to reach people on an emotional level.

“Some politicians, like Feingold, seem to have an integrity that shows through; Wellstone was also one of those,” Uutala said.

It seems Wellstone’s appeal as a senator transcended traditional party affiliations; students of all political persuasions expressed admiration for Wellstone’s political career.

Sophomore Megan Orr, who said she was not certain she would have voted for Wellstone, still described him as an effective senator.

“He was always really out there and trying to make a name for himself,” Orr said. “It seemed like he was doing an excellent job.”

Seyfried also said she felt a personal affinity with Wellstone, calling him “one of the best senators I’ve ever known.” She cited his attempts to ameliorate conditions for people in need as the source of her admiration.

“To me, Wellstone was one of the only genuine politicians,” Seyfried said. “His compassion was evident in everything he did.”

Wellstone’s death has also increased many students’ interest in voting, as well as prompting questions about the absentee ballots many students have already filled out and sent in.

“This has spurred my interest to vote to make sure [Republican candidate] Norm Coleman doesn’t get in,” said senior Brandon Fream.

Orr expressed her disappointment in losing a chance to vote in such a close race. She said she’s not sure how the absentee ballots will work now or how to make an informed decision about the new Democratic candidate, since he or she will have little time to campaign.

Schumacher said he hoped the Democratic Party would keep Wellstone on the ballot to avoid the confusion of calling back absentee ballots and to allow people an opportunity to show their support for Wellstone’s work as senator.

Most students supported the proposed choice of former senator and vice president Walter Mondale as the new candidate on the Democratic ticket.

“I think he’ll do fine as a replacement,” Fream said.

Several students did cite possible concerns about Mondale, however.

Weber commended the choice because of Mondale’s extensive experience in politics, but expressed concern about his age.

“He would be 80 years old by the time he finished a whole term,” Weber said. “It’s more likely that he’d only serve for a few years.”

Seyfried said Mondale would “probably be a good replacement,” but hoped he would be up to the task of pursuing Wellstone’s campaigns.

“I hope Mondale would continue what Wellstone started and all the issues he worked for wouldn’t just be dropped,” she said.