Police prepare for first of two Halloween weekends

The Madison Police Department unveiled preparations undertaken for a two-front Halloween Thursday afternoon.

Citing a Badger Herald editorial and anonymous posters calling for a November Halloween celebration, police announced they would provide overtime police staffing for both this upcoming weekend and the weekend of Nov. 1.

Police units will be relying on widespread surveillance to keep an eye on State Street revelers, using camcorder-armed undercover cops, officers stationed on rooftops above State Street, a command post at the University Inn and an Oct. 31 stronghold at the Madison Civic Center.

University of Wisconsin student Josh Berdass is alarmed he could be in the scope of the police, but understands the concern.

“Last year I dressed as G.I. Joe, in fatigues, and attracted quite a bit of attention from the police,” Berdass said. “I suppose the cops just want to err on the side of caution.”

The police also stressed that open intoxicants are strictly illegal.

While they acknowledged the police are powerless to write tickets for all imbibing, they plan to confiscate open alcohol containers and pour them out.

In the effort to field a police squad with greater mobility than in past years, the police department will increase the numbers of officers on bike patrol in the downtown area.

The MPD has also made arrangements to add 15 Dane County Sheriff deputies to the State Street patrols and increase the number of officers on Langdon Street.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the city is taking special precautions for festivities around the intersection of University Avenue and Lake Street.

Police also pointed out the extra hour bar-goers will have due to the end of daylight savings time early this Sunday morning, attracting an especially large crowd Saturday night.

“I expect greatest State Street crowds to come next week, but I would be shocked if I didn’t see tons of costumes this Saturday night as well,” Verveer said. “Not only has Halloween traditionally been celebrated the Saturday prior to Halloween, but we also will be able to enjoy an extra hour of bar time.”