Gay-rights group kicks off

A group aiming to promote diversity on campus, the University of Wisconsin Allies, held its first meeting Thursday night to introduce students to the organization and show them how to get involved in supporting the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

LGBT allies constitute a group of people that plays an essential role in the gay-rights movement and the promotion of diversity on campus, said UW junior John Alaniz, who works at the LGBT Campus Center.

He added that being an ally reflects awareness of a major social issue of our day and allows students to take a stand for increased tolerance.

“This program is a great way for non-LGBT people to stand up and say, ‘we’re making a change,'” Alaniz said. “Someday people will look back at this point in history and see it as a time of major societal change. The allies are the people who will appear in name or deed in the history books.”

The UW Allies identify themselves as “a group of people who try to promote a safe, diverse and inclusive community for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, and queer persons, families, cultures and issues.”

According to Alaniz, the relationship between the LGBT community and its allies is interdependent and mutually beneficial.

The LGBT population gains support in its pursuit for rights, Alaniz said, and allies gain invaluable lessons in life.

“College is a time to be introduced to different points of view so we can work with all types of people,” Alaniz said. “If a person’s not open-minded, it doesn’t matter how talented they are; they will still make a poor employee when then get out into the world beyond college.”