Soothing the stress monster

In the midst of a seemingly endless stream of midterm exams, papers and assigned readings — not to mention relationships, parties and extracurricular activities — college students often fall prey to a condition that alters not only their ability to work efficiently, but also their health and even their personality.

As large and frequent a role as stress plays in the life of students, however, a surprisingly small number at the University of Wisconsin seek help, said Rob Sepich, stress management counselor at University Health Services. Sepich cited a recent New York Times survey that revealed 90 percent of college students surveyed said they suffer from stress-related symptoms.

However, he said, from his experience, few reach out for help.

Sepich said, “If you feel overwhelmed, you’re in good company, but too many students don’t get the help they need.”

UW junior Annie Grocholski added her voice to those surveyed by describing her general mindset when she feels particularly stressed out.

“I start feeling angry toward my professors,” Grocholski said. “I get overwhelmed and frustrated, feeling like I won’t have time to do everything they assigned.”

Sepich said the highly anxious state that aids humans in emergency situations becomes harmful when it stretches into days and weeks. Physical side effects of stress include headaches and stomachaches, insomnia and appetite disturbances. Stress also influences people’s emotional state, making them more irritable, short-tempered and self-critical.

Grocholski said she feels the effects of stress over schoolwork acutely in her everyday attitude.

“I take my stress to other places with me, even if where I am or who I’m with have nothing to do with school,” Grocholski said.

Bryan Gadow, a UW student who said his position as Associated Students of Madison chair entails a strenuous balancing act between school and work, asserted that stress is an omnipotent force in his efforts as a student.

“It’s really hard to get motivated to do my homework, because I’m always thinking about a million other things that I need to do,” he said.

One short and simple technique Sepich identified as a viable option for students suffering from extreme midterm anxiety is taking brief breaks from their work throughout the day.

“This is one of the simplest techniques that people don’t use,” Sepich said. “They wait until the end of the week or after the test to relax, when it’s more beneficial to do it right now.”

To maximize the relaxation potential of these breaks, students should try deep breathing exercises, meditation or an aerobic activity like running or biking, suggested Dr. Bob McGrath, director of counseling and consultation at UHS.

“Students should take at least 15 minutes each day to chill out,” McGrath said. “I don’t mean by watching TV, but by being meditative.”

However, stress is not merely a physical reaction to the multitude of responsibilities many students face. McGrath asserted that the amount of stress a person experiences is closely linked to the person’s attitude.

“In a sense, all of stress is an attitude,” he said. “A piece of paper sitting in front of you is not stressful, unless it happens to be a midterm. Then you attach meaning to the paper, which in turn makes you experience stress.”

Megan Grunke, chair of the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group, said her improved outlook salvaged her health and made her better able to navigate her busy life.

“I love my work at WisPIRG,” Grunke said. “I think when you truly enjoy what you do, even if you’re stressed out, it makes everything much easier to handle, and it makes all your work seem worthwhile.”

Since schoolwork constitutes much of the stress in many students’ lives, UW junior Tim Sherman said he takes a relaxed approach to his classes and rarely suffers from stress. He attributes his ability to eliminate stress from his life to his laidback attitude.

“In school, I only do what’s necessary,” Sherman said. “I figure if it doesn’t need to be handed in, then I don’t need to do it.”

Although students such as Grocholksi worry about finding the time to complete all their assignments, Sherman suggests not dwelling on anything but the important papers and exams to avoid “flipping out.”

The technique students said they most often employed to combat the effects of stress was taking time off with friends or by themselves, free from homework or other obligations.

“When I get back from class, that’s my time,” Sherman said. “I don’t think about school then.”

Grocholski said running and listening to music provided an outlet for her stress; Grunke identified spending time with friends as one of her favorite methods of stress relief.

Gadow warned against becoming trapped by stress and focusing too much energy on student responsibilities.

“If you don’t take time for yourself once in a while, you aren’t growing as a person,” Gadow said.