Students show support for gubernatorial candidates

As Election Day draws near, University of Wisconsin political organizations have concentrated on informing students about issues the state faces over the next four years.

Since there will not be any gubernatorial debates held in the Madison area, organizations have looked at alternatives to get students involved and voting in the general elections.

For example, the UW College Democrats have chalked around campus and handed out leaflets about their candidate, Jim Doyle.

In addition, all democratic candidates will make appearances in Madison prior to the primaries.

Doyle made an appearance in Gordon Commons Friday and is planning to return to campus before elections Nov. 5.

The College Democrats said they have combined efforts to focus on all democratic candidates in the general election as opposed to just one.

“We want to get democrats elected,” said Eric Phillips, UW campus organizer for the democratic campaign.

Phillips said Doyle is a good candidate for students, because he offers a new, fresh face to the system.

“Students identify to his fresh face in the elections; it’s very encouraging to the process and to students,” Phillips said. “He already vowed not to raise taxes; it hits right at the center.”

Tim Wesely, chairman for the Students for Ed Thompson, said they have utilized a creative approach in raising student awareness of his stance on issues.

For example, on primary day in September, the organization gave students rides in golf carts to election polls across campus.

“We have to be a little creative,” Wesely said.

Thompson and libertarian candidate for lieutenant governor Marny Reyonlds have visited the UW campus on several occasions.

In addition to making numerous appearances in classes, Thompson attends every home Badger game and shakes hands with students on Regent Street prior to the game.

Wesely said Thompson is appealing to students because of his position on issues that personally affect students.

“His position on the issues is thoughtful, not like a regular politician. He really relates to students,” Wesley said. “I think as a third-party candidate, he has the ideas.”

Wesley noted that because of his stance on issues such as lowering the drinking age to 18 years old and protecting students from tuition hikes, he has many students interested.

Thompson will visit the campus a few more times prior to the general election.

The College Republicans have used many of the same techniques as the other organizations, such as chalking and leaflets, to share their ideas with the campus.

“We have the opportunity to get students involved,” said Tim Lash, chairman of the College Republicans. “We had students give flyers at Badger games and had chalking messages around campus.”

Students for McCallum could not be reached for comment, but Ben Krautkramer, vice-chair of College Republicans, said the organization has been hard at work.

“We’ve been doing a lot of literature drops and yard signs,” he said. “We handed out lit. before Badger games, as well as walking in parades.”

Krautkramer did not speculate about why the candidates will not be debating in Madison.

“I know McCallum appreciates the work UW students have done with his campaign,” he said. “I don’t think they’re slighting students by not holding a debate here.”

-Julia Westhoff contributed to this article.