Neighborhood organization sees repeat denial from SSFC

In contrast to the meetings of the past few weeks, the hearings of the Student Services Finance Committee Monday night did not include protests or controversy. Instead, the committee moved on to consider budget approval of two popular campus groups.

The only debate came when the State-Langdon Neighborhood Association appealed for reconsideration for funding. The SLNA was denied funding last week on the basis of duplication of services and not being a student-specific service.

Circulating a document that negated the SSFC’s concerns point by point, an unidentified SLNA member encouraged the committee to look at the definitions of ASM criteria again. The document stated the SLNA’s missions “are not even similar” to groups like the United Council or City Council. The document also cited flyers, newsletters, debates, research and correspondence in response to the committee’s concerns about “lacking information.”

In response to the SLNA’s appeal, the committee voted for a 10-minute debate period to discuss reconsideration. Rep. Ryan Nichols objected to this motion, saying, “There is no need to have this debate. This debate is a moot point.”

Rep. Mark Baumgardner agreed, asking, “Does every group that gets denied funding get to have an instant replay?”

However, most of the other SSFC members disagreed. Rep. Rob Welygan stated, “Most of the points he (the SLNA representative) made were fairly reasonable. Someone should at least make a motion to reconsider.”

In order to be reconsidered, a motion must be made by a member who originally voted “no” on the question. This did not occur, and the SLNA was confirmed as denied.

The Adventure Learning Programs Service and the GUTS Tutorial Service also appeared before the committee to approve their budget for the coming fiscal year.

Represented by student coordinators Jeremy Jewett and Kat Findley, ALPS cited their need for more workshops, salaries for new staff members and a search for outside accreditation as reasons for a budget increase in the coming fiscal year.

GUTS, represented by director Angelina Castagno, also asked for a small raise in the group’s budget, stating, “Most of the areas we’re asking for increases in goes toward salaries.” When questioned as to why university housing cut funds to GUTS last year, Castagno explained that the program works through the university system as a whole and said, “they believed that money that housing gives should only go to services in housing.”
Both ALPS and GUTS will be given the SSFC’s approval decision Wednesday.