ASM division prompts discussion

Passions flared and heated debate ensued at last night’s Associated Students of Madison session as a crowd of over 100 protesters filled the room in a show of support for council members Jennifer Epps and Emily McWilliams.

The University of Wisconsin’s Memorial Union was the center of a storm of controversy over the attempted impeachment of vice chair McWilliams and diversity chair Epps. Supporters congregated at the doors of the Union and followed ASM members into the meeting to protest allegations against the two.

After nearly four hours of debate, motions to impeach Epps and McWilliams were voted down; only two members voted to impeach Epps and three to impeach McWilliams.

Many of the protesters expressed concern that the impeachments of Epps and McWilliams were not only unjustified but also an attempt to silence diverse voices on campus.

Theresa Vidaurri, chair of the Multicultural Student Coalition, defended the work ethic of Epps and McWilliams.

“Jen and Emily do endless work to represent us,” Vidaurri said. “ASM should be promoting diversity, not silencing voices that are already too silent. Firing [Epps and McWilliams] is showing complete disrespect for the diverse voices they represent.”

Another protester claimed ASM council members were more concerned with political shows of power than with the student body represented by Epps and McWilliams.

“What I see is an ideological agenda for certain members to gain more power,” he said. “But those members obviously don’t understand what it is to be a person of color, a woman, or a queer in this society.”

Senior Phil Cortier said he was concerned for the quality of his education at an institution whose governing student body would try to oust members like Epps and McWilliams.

“You’re sabotaging my education by removing diverse voices from this council,” Cortier said.

As diversity chair of ASM, Epps’ job involves building coalitions and sponsoring events between ASM and other campus groups to promote diversity awareness and acceptance.

Allegations against Epps in the written proposal to remove her from office included “ineffective leadership,? “unprofessional conduct,? “prejudicial comments,? and “alienation of fellow Council Members.?

ASM member Kyle Tromblee said Epps acts in an unprofessional manner by accusing other council members of racism and causing discord at meetings.

“Any person in a position of power should be more open-minded,” Tromblee said. “We should have a diversity chair who encourages civil relations.”

Council member Ryan Nichols agreed Epps’ actions at meetings were inappropriate and grounds for dismissal.

“One of the wisest things I’ve ever heard Jennifer Epps say is that your actions reflect what you truly believe,” said Nichols. “Her actions include yelling, lying, crying, and using other coercive powers.”

Nichols said the best way to rectify the situation was to elect a new chair who could bring people together rather than play a divisive role in ASM.

ASM member Brian Jenks denied allegations that Epps discriminates against other council members.

“She has been there for me, a straight white male who rarely agrees with her points of view,” Jenks said. “Don’t kill this committee by voting her out of office. It’s more important that people are active in ASM than that you’re always comfortable with her opinions and attitudes.”

One protester also took issue with claims that Epps is too confrontational with other ASM members.

“The diversity chair is there to bring issues to the table,” she said. “If you are so uncomfortable merely hearing about these issues, then you do not belong in student government because you are not representing the students in this room.”

Epps defended herself by pointing out that her committee is the most active in ASM and all her former members returned this year to work for her again. She also said she would not apologize for making people feel uncomfortable or guilty.

“My job is to represent students, not to make you all feel comfortable,” Epps said. “This job is about reaching out to students and impacting their lives, not politics and easy relations in your council meetings.”

McWilliams faced allegations of abusing her power in electing students to represent ASM at conferences this summer and holding a 9/11 candlelight vigil that failed to promote patriotism and reflect all student views.

When asked to comment on their support of the allegations, most signers of the bill said they had nothing against McWilliams as a person but merely signed due to political reasons.

ASM member Tom Clark said he supported the bill “because of unequal power in ASM.? Fellow member Charles Sieb agreed.

“Everyone knew coming in that this bill was purely political,” he said. “It has nothing to do with Emily as a person.”

In defense of the vigil she planned and executed, McWilliams said she was not approached by committee members beforehand to express their views about the content of the event. She said she felt bringing a flag to the event was unnecessary given the location at the Capitol building and that she asked speakers from all religions to attend but many declined.

Nichols said the event served to show “how out of touch [McWilliams] is with the beliefs of the average student.”

“She’s abused her power and failed to represent all students,” Nichols said.

ASM chair Bryan Gadow said he felt the discussion would have repercussions for the future of the organization.

“We got something out of this,” Gadow said. “I hope this type of candor and discussion of all opinions will be the norm for ASM in the future.”