Studying abroad gains popularity since 9/11

After the attacks of Sept. 11, campus officials feared students would shy away from study abroad programs. However, the numbers reveal students are actually more interested in traveling abroad than they were prior to the Sept. 11 attacks.

Since the attacks, the number of applicants for study abroad programs at the University of Wisconsin has increased, according to Joan Raducha, director of international academic affairs. Last spring, enrollment in study abroad programs went up 20 percent.

These findings are not unique to UW. A survey conducted by International Educational Exchange shows applications for study abroad programs have either remained the same or increased on the campuses of two-thirds of the educators who responded.

The survey also states there was “no noticeable change in requests for information on study abroad.”

Raducha attributes this continued interest in studying abroad to students’ increased awareness of the world beyond the United States.

“If anything, [the events of Sept. 11] made students more aware of the importance of learning about the world outside of the university and making it a part of their educational experience,” Raducha said.

UW junior David Coddon, who plans on studying abroad next semester, said the terrorist attacks will not deter him. He said he feels studying abroad is a more attractive option now, due to people’s growing interest in world politics.

“I think it’s a very interesting time to see other parts of the world,” Coddon said.

He agreed the events of Sept. 11 make this type of experience even more meaningful.

“People are beginning to learn that there’s a whole world out there beyond the university,” Coddon said. “It’s sad that it took an event so drastic to make us realize the importance of experiencing other cultures.”

To ensure the safety of students once they arrive overseas, Raducha said the university keeps students informed of potentially dangerous political situations.

“We’ve reviewed our safety protocols since Sept. 11 and provided students with orientation to learn to better keep themselves safe,” Raducha said.

Parents are more concerned about safety than students, Raducha said.

“Parents have become increasingly concerned about the safety and well-being of their children going overseas,” Raducha said.

As for students, Raducha said they have a variety of concerns that are not necessarily related to Sept. 11.

“None of my friends who are studying abroad right now were afraid of going because of the terrorist attacks,” Coddon said. “It was absolutely not an issue.”

The only study abroad program that will no longer be open to students this year is the one in Israel. Raducha said this is due to the current political situation in that country and has nothing to do with the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.