Campus responds to 9/11

In response to the one-year anniversary of Sept. 11, the University of Wisconsin has planned a variety of events to bring students together in remembrance.

The events were coordinated by the university, student groups and the community, and include speeches, artwork and discussions.

To begin the day, Chancellor Wiley and Associated Students of Madison chair Bryan Gadow will speak at Library Mall. Following the speeches, campus musicians will perform a program of “Reflection and Remembrance,” which starts at 8:45 a.m.

“I hope students will attend the program,” Gadow said. “It’s important for students to gather together and contemplate the events of [Sept. 11].”

After the program, members of Hillel and other volunteers will read names of Sept. 11 victims.

Several panel discussions will take place during the course of the day on topics relating to the university and the life of students after the terrorist attacks.

Starting at noon in Tripp Commons at the Memorial Union, students can attend a panel discussion on “Religion and Violence;” several faculty members from various departments will be featured speakers.

Following is the “International Students and 9/11” panel where international students attending the university will speak about their experiences.

In the Memorial Union’s Great Hall at 4:30 p.m., university professor Robert Enright will present a “Healing and Forgiveness” speech.

Later in the evening, ASM vice chair Emily McWilliams has planned a candlelight vigil for 7:15 p.m. at Library Mall. Created as a student response to the tragedy, participants will walk together to the Capitol to hear several speeches.

“It’s important for student government to offer this service to the students,” said McWilliams. “That’s what we’re here for.”

McWilliams said she hopes the event will be a healing experience for those who attend.

“This vigil is about trying to find strength in each other and reflecting on where we are now and how we’ve changed,” she said.