New dean of students announced

The position that University of Wisconsin Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Paul Barrows once termed “one of the toughest on this campus” has been filled. Luoluo Hong will join UW as its newest dean of students.

Hong, who currently works as the assistant vice president of student affairs and dean of students at Shepherd College in Shepherdstown, W. Va., said she is thrilled to start her new job here.

“The transplanting process is beginning already,” she said. “I hit the ground running. I can’t wait to get there and settle into my new life.”

Hong said she was immediately interested in the position because of the university’s reputation for excellence.

“I’ve admired this institution from afar,” Hong said. “You can’t work in higher education without knowing how highly esteemed it is.”

Not only does she admire UW’s ranking in the scholastic world; she said she also loves the atmosphere of Madison’s campus.

“This is really the right place and the right position,” Hong stated. “It’s a place that’s open to change and progressive–Madison is just a really neat community.”

Hong also said she is excited about the history of student activism at the university, having once been involved in student activism herself.

“People would tell me about the student activism here with a mixture of pride and caution, like they hoped it wouldn’t scare me away,” Hong said. “Honestly, I’m disappointed by the lack of student activism on other campuses. It’s an important feature of student life.”

Chancellor Wiley said students reciprocated Hong’s positive feelings.

“We have received nothing but outstanding reports from the students, faculty and staff who met with her during her interview process,” Wiley said in a statement.

Hong said she was wary of identifying the major challenges of her new position.

“I’d like to be careful of making pre-judgments before learning more about the politics of the university,” Hong said. “I want to talk to students and find out what issues I need to address.”

Hong said some of the things she is most excited about addressing as dean of students are campus climate and accessibility. She is also excited about dealing with administrative challenges and engaging with students.

“I’m especially looking forward to working with the students here,” Hong said. “This is what it’s all about–finding the dream job and waking up every morning excited about what you’re doing.”