Student opinon: Union’s new hours elicit mixed feelings

The University of Wisconsin’s decision to keep the unions open later has elicited mixed reactions from students.

As part of Chancellor Wiley’s attempts to lessen binge-drinking incidents on campus, the unions at the university now remain open until 2 a.m. More late-night programming is planned to entice students to spend time at alcohol-free, union-sponsored activities and offer an alternative to house parties.

This weekend’s activities included a showing of the movie “Lord of the Rings” on the Kohl Center lawn and music at the Memorial Union terrace.

UW sophomore Phil Hansen expressed doubt that the union activities will ultimately keep students from house parties and other places where drinking is prevalent. He said freshmen and sophomores, the population that frequents house parties most often, will not substitute the union for other venues of entertainment.

“Freshmen and sophomores go to house parties because they can drink there,” Hansen said. “No one goes for the atmosphere, that’s for sure.”

Freshman Josh Anders agreed that the union would not serve as an alternative to drinking for many students.

“Unless the unions are planning on serving alcohol to underage students, they’re not going to draw people away from house parties,” Anders said.

Both Hansen and Anders said they would consider the union’s activities under certain conditions, however, depending on which activities were offered on a given night.

Freshman Julia Dauenhauer said she was optimistic about the future of the unions’ late-night programs.

“Maybe it will get kids to do something other than drink,” Dauenhauer said. “At the least, it’s nice to know that there’s somewhere else to go at night, especially if you don’t drink a lot.”

Hansen said he felt students who are not interested in drinking initially are the ones most likely to benefit from the new programs.

“The kids going to the unions for entertainment aren’t in the same demographic as the ones who are drinking,” Hansen said.

Aside from students who don’t regularly attend parties, Hansen said, the other student population affected by the later hours are those who can legally drink.

“The new hours are just going to draw business away from bars with the beer-pitcher deal,” Hansen said. “They won’t get underage students away from unsupervised parties.”
A UW junior who wished to remain anonymous said she felt the unions’ new policy was hypocritical and sent mixed messages about the true goal of the university concerning drinking.
“They extended the hours but serve alcohol at the same time,” she said. “We’re the only union in the state that serves alcohol. It’s nice that they’re offering more programs, but they’re promoting drinking at the same time.”