Senator calls for resignation amid caucus scandal

State Sen. Gary George, D-Milwaukee, wants Senate Majority Leader Chuck Chvala, D-Madison, and Assembly Majority Leader Scott Jensen, R-Waukesha, to resign.

George said Saturday that because the two lawmakers have prevented legislative clerks from releasing the names of employees who accepted legal advice paid for by taxpayers, the legislators should step down.

“This refusal to obey the order of the court is shameful and more evident of why significant reform is needed in Madison. These two should immediately step aside, and new leadership should be elected to help begin the process of restoring the reputation of the Legislature,” George said.

The investigation of caucus staff members began after accusations of campaigning for partisan officials on the state’s time. The job of the caucus staff was eliminated as part of a settlement with the Elections and Ethics boards.

Some lawmakers have also been accused of offering to trade political favors for campaign donations and engaging campaign fundraising.

The investigation has cost state taxpayers more than $500,000, and both Houses voted last summer to continue funding the investigation without a spending cap.

Dane County Judge Sarah O’Brien ruled Friday the names of legislative employees who are receiving legal advice that is paid for by the state must be made public.

“The public interest in disclosure is clear,” O’Brien said in her decision. “Taxpayers of a community have the right to know how and why their money is being spent.”

But Patrick Fuller, Assistant Chief to the Assembly, said he will not comply with the ruling. He said he plans to appeal the decision.

Jay Heck, executive director of Common Cause of Wisconsin, said despite the appeal, the ruling is an important step in the caucus investigation.

“For the first time — providing the ruling survives the appeal — it indicates that the public’s right to know supercedes the legislative leaders’ desire to conceal,” Heck said.

Heck said it is obvious that the clerks are not acting alone, and House leaders must have encouraged an appeal.

“There is no doubt that this is a criminal investigation, and real reform can only take place with new leadership,” George said.

George said not publishing the names of individuals involved with the caucus investigation is not the fault of the clerks.

“When you read these stories about the appeal of the court ruling, it would seem as if it is the Senate chief clerk and the Assembly clerk who are appealing the ruling by Judge Sarah O’Brien,” George said. “Everyone knows it is Senator Chvala and Speaker Jensen who have made this decision and who are trying to keep this a secret from the public.”

In a letter to the clerks of both Houses, Attorney Gen. Jim Doyle said it is time to release the names of the individuals involved in the caucus investigation.

“The bill for the lawyers’ fees has already topped $500,000, and your offices have spent additional taxpayer money trying to keep these records secret,” Doyle said in the letter. “This is unacceptable. I have advised you that your actions are illegal — both paying the lawyers’ fees and withholding the names of the employees whose fees are being paid. Now the court has agreed that withholding the names is illegal.”