State Street documentary premiers at Orpheum

As one of the last pedestrian malls left in the United States, State Street is in the midst of a design overhaul including construction of the Overture Center. The colorful and eccentric spine of Madison’s isthmus will get its time in the spotlight Friday.

Two Madison-native independent filmmakers created a documentary that looks through the eyes of community members who help the diverse State Street keep its national reputation.

UW-Madison alumni Brewer Stouffer and Troy Lanier produced the film “Streets Without Cars.” The documentary shows a timeline of the events, people and buildings that make State Street what it is today. It was created to inform people of the history of State Street and focuses on how the street has evolved over time.

The documentary discusses how State Street has withstood the closure of many pedestrian malls in the country as well as changes in businesses. It has stood strong through rioting, poor business and competition from indoor malls and has built its way up to become a popular and memorable place.

“Madison has one of the few successful pedestrian malls left in the United States,” said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, who appears in the documentary.

The film addresses the street’s uniqueness by showing the area’s geographical layout, with State Street connecting the campus and Capitol Square.

It also gives light to the people and shops that add to State Street’s diversity. Stouffer and Lanier interviewed the people that call State Street home, from street vendors to street performers–people that students and the community are familiar with. There are also interviews with city officials and students.

“I think it’s excellent that they took the time and seized the opportunity to do so,” said Ryan Mulcahy, assistant to Mayor Sue Bauman.

Along with the discussion of the history of State Street, the film also shows the changes that are currently in progress, including the future of State Street and the development of the Overture Center.

The film will be shown Friday night at The Orpheum, 216 State Street.