Priests are people, too

Clerical sexual abuse of children used to be the topic of movies and television shows. “Sleepers” and “Primal Fear” both addressed the issue of priests sexually abusing children. Now, with unraveling of the scandal involving Roman Catholic priests, the issue is no longer contained within the realm of the imagination.

Priests all over the country are being uncovered as abusive, and archdioceses are just now turning over lists of abusers from decades past.

The churches opted to deal with the offenders themselves through treatment rather than involving the police. Boston’s archdiocese is at the center of the scandal and previously made agreements to turn over lists of priests accused of molesting children. The New York City archdiocese just turned over to the Manhattan district attorney a list encompassing the last four decades of allegations.

The Chicago Tribune reported an estimated 1,400 priests have received treatment in one of a few facilities specializing in the treatment of priests since 1985. When priests are accused of sexual abuse of a child they are sent to a treatment facility. If a businessman was accused, rather than being shuffled off to a resort-like treatment facility he would be subject to jail time.

The treatment is not fool proof — some priests may be successfully treated — but some will not. The Catholic Church allows the priests to return to the priesthood but makes attempts to avoid contact with children. There is not always someone around to police the situation and, despite efforts to the contrary, priests often end up in situations with children.

Although church law sees sexual abuse as a sin, it is also illegal and no one is immune to the law. If someone is guilty of sexual abuse, he or she is sent to prison for a long time. Priests, on the other hand, are sent to one of five main treatment centers. Rev. Peter Lechner heads the Servants of the Paraclete, a religious order that offers treatment. Lechner told the Chicago Tribune the center is not harsh.

“What we provide is more like a retreat that includes psychological assistance,” he said.

The priests are sexual offenders but are not registered on the sexual-offender database. Instead, they are “treated” and then returned to working with children.

The church hopes after treatment the priest will be ready to return to working with children. Maybe some are, but scientists say the disease can be successfully treated but not cured. If priests are not subject to the same punishment as ordinary offenders and are not registered on the sex-offender database, they are able to rejoin society and could prey on other innocent children

The justice system relies on victims to come forward and frequently victims are too embarrassed to do so, especially when a priest is the aggressor. The justice system can be successful in protecting everyone — especially children — but keeping priests out of the system may allow the cycle of abuse to continue.

Morgan Felchner ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in political science.