McCallum to address budget deficit

As Wisconsin families search for ways to pare down spending, Gov. Scott McCallum is expected to address spending cuts that state agencies can make to help reduce the state budget deficit in today’s State of the State address to the state Legislature.

The annual speech, normally given at the end of January, was postponed by the governor and was delayed until the state Assembly began to deal with the $1.1 billion budget deficit, according to a spokesman for McCallum.

The delay allowed for more time between the State of the State address and the governor’s budget reform address given on Jan. 22.

Jim Ale, spokesman for McCallum, said the governor’s address is a “work in progress,” and he did not specifically know what the governor would be addressing in his speech.

This is McCallum’s first annual address since the former lieutenant governor took over on Feb. 1, 2001 replacing former Gov. Tommy Thompson.

Paul Uetbelher, outreach director for Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, said he is sure the governor will address the budget deficit but hopes he will mention campaign finance reform.

“I think he will address the budget, the deficit — the state budget deficit,” Uetbelher said. “We are hoping he will take a stand of comprehensive campaign finance reform.”

The plan to fix the state’s budget deficit includes a controversial proposal to eliminate $1 billion-a-year in shared revenue by 2004.

Opponents of the proposal said the governor’s budget plan unfairly asks cities to make the bulk of funding cuts while state agencies are spared from the most drastic cuts. In his budget-reform address, McCallum referred to local government officials who oppose the plan as “big spenders”.

In an interview with Green Bay Press-Gazette, Sen. Dave Hansen, D-Green Bay, said he does not think the governor’s budget plan is going anywhere, but he hopes McCallum’s address will emphasize sharing fiscal responsibility and not blaming local officials for the budget deficit.

“I hope to hear from a kinder, gentler McCallum,” Hansen said. “I would hope that the governor would join with the Legislature to work in a positive, bipartisan fashion on the deficit and other areas.”

Uetbelher said he believes McCallum should use his office and his position as governor to merge separate pieces of legislation passed in the state Senate and Assembly.

“As governor, he should bring legislation passed in the two Houses together,” Uetbelher said. “But do I expect he will address it — no.”

Both Legislature Houses have passed reform bills but have not yet resolved the differences in legislation.