Speaker Jensen to push campaign-finance legislation

Campaign-finance legislation may make a surprise appearance on the schedule of state Assembly, which is back in session today after a two-week break. State lawmakers have spent recent weeks attending and holding committee hearings about bills that will be discussed.

Although state lawmakers are slated to make decisions about some big bills, including the state’s budget deficit plan, redistricting and library funding, Assembly Speaker Scott Jensen, R-Waukesha, is expected to push campaign-finance legislation through today.

Despite campaign-finance legislation not being on the calendar, Jensen believes the legislation is important and plans to bring up a bill approved by the Assembly Committee on campaigns and elections. The bill, AB 843, is similar to SB 104.

AB 843 is designed to create more accountability and openness in the way campaigns are financed.

Rep. Steve Freese, R-Dodgeville, said the state Senate is in a gridlock on SB 104 and he hopes the Assembly will move forward with the new bill.

“It is my hope that our Assembly action will keep reforms alive and give the state Senate the push they need to get back to work on cleaning up the way we fund campaigns,” he said.

Freese said the bill takes major pieces of other reform legislation and puts them together to create a fair and balanced bill.

“This plan is balanced, fair, and will help restore the public’s confidence in our campaign system,” Freese said.

Common Cause in Wisconsin called Feb. 7 for a conference on comprehensive campaign-finance reform. Sen. Mike Ellis, R-Neenah, author of SB 104, reiterated the need for a summit.

Senate Minority Leader Spencer Black, D-Madison, also called Monday for a campaign-finance summit, sending letters to the governor, Jensen, Sen. Chuck Chvala, and Sen. Mary Panzer, R-West Bend, about his vision for comprehensive campaign-finance reform.

The Assembly is slated to discuss several other bills Tuesday, including several pieces of legislation relating to the environment and outdoor sporting. Also on the calendar for today is AB 805, relating to tobacco compliance in the state. The bill would require employers to train their staff in tobacco compliance.

Baas said this week the state Assembly will be discussing budget legislation and redistricting.
“This is going to be a busy few months for the Assembly,” Baas said.
The state Senate will discuss legislation that would rename the Institute for Environmental Studies at UW-Madison.