Senator’s claim to have graduated from UW disputed

Senate Minority Leader Mary Panzer, R-West Bend, has not yet answered questions about whether or not she received a bachelor’s degree from UW-Madison.

Last week a Milwaukee television station reported that although Panzer’s 1981 resume states she received her degree from Madison, she did not complete her degree.

WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee discovered the possible mistake while reviewing the resumes of several officials for discrepancies.

Although Panzer is currently in Mexico on vacation, she left a statement about the discrepancy.

“In the 1970s, I believe I had completed the necessary course work to earn a bachelor’s degree from the University of Wisconsin,” it reads. “Until I was contacted this week, I had no reason to believe otherwise.”

Panzer said she contacted UW and has arranged to meet with officials to review her records.

“In the event that a problem does exist, I will take corrective action as soon as possible,” Panzer said.

The registrar’s office declined to comment on the matter, saying Panzer invoked a federal law blocking the release of university records about an individual.

A college degree is not required to serve in the Legislature.