Bush visits Milwaukee

President Bush is appearing with Gov. Scott McCallum today at a fundraising event in Milwaukee.

Bush will formally endorse McCallum as his choice for Wisconsin governor.

The visit is expected to boost McCallum’s popularity at a time when he is close in poll races with other candidates but far ahead of Democratic opponents in fundraising.

Campaign volunteers for McCallum say the president’s visit shows the Nov. 5 gubernatorial elections are important to national Republicans. This will be the third G.O.P. fundraiser Bush has attended since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Local and national polls show approval ratings for President Bush are more than 80 percent.

McCallum reported $2.4 million in fundraising for the period ending on Dec. 31.

Other Democratic candidates are at least $1 million behind McCallum. The four other Democratic candidates are Attorney General Jim Doyle, U.S. Rep. Tom Barrett, D-Milwaukee; Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk and state Senator Gary George, D-Milwaukee.

President Bush is giving a speech on his health policies at the Medical College of Wisconsin and will attend McCallum's fundraising dinner later in the evening. The events are expected to raise approximately $1 million for the McCallum, with 750 supporters paying $1,000 for tickets. More than 50 organizers will have the opportunity to have their photo taken with the president.

President Bush made two visits to Wisconsin this fall but did not appear with McCallum because of time constraints. This is Bush’s fourth visit to Wisconsin since he took office.