Responding to budget, legislators propose to freeze own pay

A group of bipartisan lawmakers say they believe state budget shortfalls and a recession mean legislators should not benefit from a pay increase.

A group of 35 state Senators and Assembly members joined Rep. Bob Ziegelbauer, D-Manitowoc, to call for a pay freeze for the governor and Legislature for the next two years.

The salaries for the governor and Assembly are set for the following year’s session by the Joint Committee on Employment Relations before the end of each legislative session.

The committee has already met and established a 3 percent pay increase for the Legislature and a 2 percent increase for the governor.

The increase would raise the salary of legislators from $44,233 to $45,569. The salary for the governor-elect would be raised from $129,177 to $131,768.

Ziegelbauer said he finds it important for legislators to be leaders on the budget issue.

“In a time when we all have to make do with less, it is important for the Legislature to also make do with less,” Ziegelbauer said. “We have to be a leader. We have a big budget problem, and [the Assembly] should share in the inconvenience.”

Other lawmakers agree. David Zien, R-Wheaton, has frozen his pay in the past even when other legislators have accepted a pay increase.

According to Zien’s chief of staff, Bob Seitz, for the past decade Zien has taken the salary increase, put it in a separate account and given it to charity.

“[Zien] is committed to a two-year pay freeze,” Seitz said.

“He has done it for 10 years, and I think he will take the pay freeze whether or not it becomes a law.”

Zien usually donates money to charities for education, veterans’ groups and other groups he belongs to, said a spokesperson.

Gov. Scott McCallum is also supportive of the proposed pay freeze. “He thinks it is a great idea,” said Debbie Monterrey-Millett, press secretary for the governor.

A pay freeze for 17 Republicans and 11 Democrats would save the state $268,415 over the next year and a half.

This amount may seem small compared to the state’s budget deficit, but Ziegelbauer said it is more than just a symbolic gesture.

Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said it is important for lawmakers to do what they are asking constituents to do.

“Legislators must do what families have long done — we must make do with less. Let this be the first of many state government spending reductions.”