Baby born in dorm bathroom dies

A baby girl born in a UW-Eau Claire residence hall bathroom died Sunday.

Julienna Marie Hubbard died at the St. Joseph’s Hospital in Marshfield, reportedly from a lack of oxygen at the time of birth, an Eau Claire County deputy medical examiner said. She was in critical condition

The full-term baby was born Jan. 29 to Karen Hubbard, a UW-Eau Claire freshman who died after giving birth in a bathroom stall of Oak Ridge Hall, the all-girl dorm in which Hubbard lived.

An autopsy revealed excessive bleeding caused by complications with childbirth resulted in Hubbard’s death.

Emergency personnel reportedly found Hubbard, 19, in a bathroom stall not breathing and with no pulse last Tuesday.

When an officer removed Hubbard from the stall, he found the baby girl. A student reportedly began CPR procedures on the baby while officers attempted to revive Hubbard.

She and the baby were transported to Sacred Heart Hospital where Hubbard later died. The baby was flown to St. Joseph’s Hospital, where she remained in critical condition until her death Sunday.

No one on campus reports to have known Hubbard was pregnant.

Other students in the bathroom around the time of the birth asked Hubbard if she was okay, and she reportedly said she was fine and was “just sick.”

Hubbard was a 2001 graduate of Owen-Withee High School in Withee, Wis., where she was co-valedictorian. She was a pre-pharmacy student at UW-Eau Claire who had been active in 4-H, basketball, band and Spanish club throughout high school, an Owen-Withee high school guidance counselor, David Nelson, told the Eau Claire Spectator.

“She was one of those people that would know everyone when she walked down the hall,” Nelson said.